Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte vs Asus

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2012 8:27:04 PM

I'm looking for a best bang for the buck MBO.

I will be using i5 3570K with Onboard GPU.
Will be used for light gaming, like Killing Floor, CS 1.6...
Internet surfing, movies watching, maybe a little bit of editing, the usual...

I do intend to get a discrete GPU in 3-4months, then I'll be using system for gaming, tougher gaming than CS 1.6 or KF...
And 4-5 months after the 1st GPU, I may get the 2nd 1 and do Crossfire or Sli...
Would ss-620gb be enough for 2x7870 OC along with a CPU?, Or for at least 1?
Would Chieftec CFT 750 CS be enough for something like this?
I do want a PC that will last at least 5 years, I don't mind gaming at low setting in 2017 on this PC!
I want to make it future-proof as much as possible (while also saving some cash). Searching for the best RATIO between these 2 things.

ALSO!
WOULD I BE BETTER OF IF I WERE TO JUST GET A10 5800K FOR NOW AND THEN ADD GPU LATER?
My budget is really tight! I'd like to know what you guys think about investing into APUs or going the safe way, like 1155 socket and Intel...

Here's what I had in mind:

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H - 158$
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H - 177$
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H WB WiFi - 218$
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H - 243$
Asus P8Z77-V - 202$
Asus P8Z77-V PRO - 222$
Asus Maximus V generation - 232$

Details required!
Possibly some explanations too!

Which 1:
1. is best for OC?
2. has best onboard audio?
3. has best LAN?
4. has best (fastest) WiFi?
5. has best cooling?
6. has highest RAM speeds?
7. has most USB3.0?
8. has most Sata 6GB ports?
9. has nicest features?
10. has the best usage of onboard GPU?

Final question:

Which 1 gives best bang for the buck (looking at prices at the store I intend to buy from).
No newegg, amazon, microcenter at my country...

More about : gigabyte asus

October 3, 2012 8:31:36 PM

Forgot to mention!

1 MORE THING!

I'm currently leaning towards Asus, because of better sound and lower prices on boards with WiFi, especially looking at P8Z77-V! Also has nice amount of USB3.0s and Sata 6Gbs!
March 28, 2013 7:10:14 PM

Dear Kajcha,
Go With the Asus p8z77-v. i have that same mobo, and it is great. it has a perfect amount of features, for a perfect price.
March 28, 2013 10:55:21 PM

Kajcha said:
I'm looking for a best bang for the buck MBO.

I will be using i5 3570K with Onboard GPU.
Will be used for light gaming, like Killing Floor, CS 1.6...
Internet surfing, movies watching, maybe a little bit of editing, the usual...

I do intend to get a discrete GPU in 3-4months, then I'll be using system for gaming, tougher gaming than CS 1.6 or KF...
And 4-5 months after the 1st GPU, I may get the 2nd 1 and do Crossfire or Sli...
Would ss-620gb be enough for 2x7870 OC along with a CPU?, Or for at least 1?
Would Chieftec CFT 750 CS be enough for something like this?
I do want a PC that will last at least 5 years, I don't mind gaming at low setting in 2017 on this PC!
I want to make it future-proof as much as possible (while also saving some cash). Searching for the best RATIO between these 2 things.

ALSO!
WOULD I BE BETTER OF IF I WERE TO JUST GET A10 5800K FOR NOW AND THEN ADD GPU LATER?
My budget is really tight! I'd like to know what you guys think about investing into APUs or going the safe way, like 1155 socket and Intel...

Here's what I had in mind:

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H - 158$
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H - 177$
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H WB WiFi - 218$
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H - 243$
Asus P8Z77-V - 202$
Asus P8Z77-V PRO - 222$
Asus Maximus V generation - 232$

Details required!
Possibly some explanations too!

Which 1:
1. is best for OC?
2. has best onboard audio?
3. has best LAN?
4. has best (fastest) WiFi?
5. has best cooling?
6. has highest RAM speeds?
7. has most USB3.0?
8. has most Sata 6GB ports?
9. has nicest features?
10. has the best usage of onboard GPU?

Final question:

Which 1 gives best bang for the buck (looking at prices at the store I intend to buy from).
No newegg, amazon, microcenter at my country...

Yeesh, you ask a lot of questions that I cannot possibly answer, so I'm just going to spout some general advice.

If you are on a tight budget, then SLI/Crossfire is a bad option for you. The actual performance increase is game dependent, but its more like a 40% increase in performance even though you pay twice as much. Except for some games not optimized for dual graphics cards, their performance will actually degrade. For 95+% of gamers, a single card solution is the best option. SLI/Crossfire is a desperate attempt to throw money at a problem to get better performance, usually to play games on multiple monitors or a very high resolution monitor. I suspect you have neither.

Second, motherboard manufacturer's get their designs from Intel, so every company is building from the same blueprint. There is not a lot of performance increases to be had by trying to get the "better" motherboard. It's the same chipset, so what you are actually paying for is usually some features you may or may not actually care about using (multiple PCI-e 16x slots as an example).

Since you are interested in overclocking, you will want a Z77 chipset. The reputable brands off the top of my head are: MSI, Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, and Intel.

I can personally recommend the MSI Z77 G43: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . MSI has really focused on overclockers with this board if that is of interest to you. It also has a lower price tag ~$100 then any of the boards you picked. With this $100 board, I was able to get a 4.5 ghz, stable overclock of a 3570K CPU. Though, like I said motherboards are all designed using the same set of blueprints, I just happen to own this one so I can give it a stronger recommendation.

Keep in mind you will need an aftermarket cooler to OC, which would add another $20-$100 to your budget.

Finally, I don't think motherboards come with wifi standard. Intead, if you want to add WiFi, you can buy a USB adapter for under $30 (maybe as low as $10, shop around). It typically looks like a USB storage drive, only it turns any machine into wireless. For this reason, I would not pick a motherboard for having wireless, one just limits their options to much.
!