New G.Skill stick fails! Caused by removing the protector metal part?

zoobooboozoo

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hi all, I purchased a G.Skill 1x2GB DDR2 667Mhz PQ Series,
and installed it into the MBoard, went through hell with the PC,
got to the point of testing the RAM stick which resulted in a freeze which lead me to the
inevitable conclusion:
This new stick is ruined.

I think it might be my fault:
I was eager to use it and I was also distracted when I installed it which resulted with me removing the protector-metal-part-thingy(not sure what's the proper term :sarcastic: ) which I guess I shouldn't of.

to make myself clear the stick looked something like this:
8500s.jpg

and now the stick is "naked", and looks like most sticks does - green with all the e.circles and black pads.
Is this the reason it doesn't work? should I contact the retailer to get a replacement?

Thanks, ZBBZ.

D

Deleted member 217926

That is the heatsink. Since it was probably glued on and had to be pried off I really doubt that it's still covered by the warranty. Why did you remove it? I have never seen a heatspreader cause RAM to not go in the slot correctly.

There was absolutely no reason to remove the green heatspreader , none! Chances are when you removed the heatspreader you loosened the rams memory chipps, those small square grey pieces and once you loosen them you will have ruined the ram stick. You have also voided the warrenty.
The heatspreaders can be removed but you have to know what your doing so the memory chips don't loosen up.

before you think it the ram stick make sure you have the newest bios on the mb. use one ram stick and try and update the bios. a lot of the new ib mb have updates for ram. on the ram chips look for any snapped caps on the ram chips. the ram chips are waved soilder on and can be hurt from removing the heat shield. the small caps can be snapped off. look on the rams most caps going to be on one side or both in a striaght line _ _ _ look for damage or missing items on the ram pad.

Unless you can actually see where it's damaged , no. Ths appears to be physical damage and not software related so you do have to see where it's damaged, the best way since things are very small is to get a magnifying glass and examine the ram sticks for anything that's unusual or looks broken.Have you looked at the metal heatspreaders to see if any of the memory chips are stuck to it and have been pulled off the pcb (printed circut board).