6970 Vs 6990

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hi everyone,

Thanks for being so awesome towards my last couple of posts.

Recently I started building an AMD Black set up (Best of AMD at this moment + its my first build by myself so I started with something medium/great). I just got my monitor sorted out (Thanks to everyone on here!) and now I am finally on to my last part - the graphics cards. I will be getting a 1100T x6 Black Edition CPU and I really can't decide on if I should get SLi 6970 or SLi 6990's?

On YouTube (Yes I know I shouldn't judge a card on YouTube) the quality looks really bad from what I have seen via game play videos compared to the 6990. (I will also be frapsing so my FPS will take a hit as well). I was so set on getting 6990 but after looking at the price, I can get SLi 6970's for the price of 1 6990 and I'm not sure if I can justify that. Can I have anyones in put as I will most likely upgrade my graphics card once the 6990 comes out but I don't really know as I am such a perfectionist I like to have the top building to make my pee pee feel bigger :(

Thanks for your input all,

T

the x6 is an absolute horrible buy, what are your full system specs?

get a i5 2500k for the money of the x6 it is way better in gaming in terms of gaming and overall better in productivity, if you are going for an am3 setup get a 955 for 110 and oc the hell out of it. I would go for a single 6970 or a 2 gig 6950 and flash it, the 6990 makes no sense for a single 1080p screen

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I have a rough draft list but nothing is confirmed but I just wanted to start off with an AMD build as I am more familiar with them.

Right now I have

AMD 1100T x6 Black Edition
6-8GB Corsair Dominator Ram (Not sure on the speed yet)
Sabretooth 990FX motherboard
1200W Corsair PSU

SLi 9970 or SLi 6990

I was going to go for an Intel build but with Bulldozer round the corner and being more familiar with AMD parts I thought I would go for this.

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

I would get a 955 but right now I am not familiar with overclocking. The last time I played a PC was the end of GTA Vice City and I really want to get back into it. Since the above poster thinks my set up is not worth it what do you think? I am still thinking about changing a few things before I order within the next 14 days but if I just wanted Factory settings and then learn as I go the 1100T and CrossFire 6970's would be acceptable for 1080p should it?

*Just read before I said SLi - my bad guys just getting back into PC and my mind is everywhere :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS