Video card not performing well

Dvander77

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
My video card is not performing as it was. I have the msi twin frozr II 560 ti. I changed some cables around in my computer to tidy it up and now I am getting much lower fps in all games. Everything seems plugged in correctly.

In starcraft 2 I went from roughly 150 to 200 fps at the beginning of a game all settings maxed out to only 30 to 40 fps. This is my first build so I don't know how to troubleshoot this, I am only just getting in to computers.

Are there any ideas on how to fix this?

What is the rest of the system Do you have a quad core ?
with less characters on the screen the dual has less to do other than posting frames from the GPU as you move up in levels there are more things for the CPU to do this if you don't have a quad this is why

he did start with 150FPS to 200FPS and now he starts with 30FPs to 40FPS. If you end the games with 30-40FPS, that is normal.

Dvander77

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

My system is around 2 weeks old. It is my first build, I'm 16 and only just getting in to computers :p try not to confuse me with too much tech lingo

I have

processor: i5 2500 (not K version)
ram: 8 gigs mushkin silverline stiletto ddr3 1333
HDD: 1 tb western digital caviar black 6 gb/s sata3
GPU: Nvidea geforce gtx 560 ti (msi twin frozr)
Motherboard: MSI p67 gd55
PSU: seasonic 620 watt modular

Dvander77

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

From what i've seen drivers are up to date, this problem only happened today, but i do not know if it was like this before I changed some wires around ( I was trying to tidy up the case) I will remove and replace the card now to see if that works.

"Also Nvidia has some problems with their drivers at the moment. A few people I know with gtx460's and 570's are having serious issues with games crashing to desktop with display driver errors." That is from Iam2thecrow, besides that, I am not sure. Just giving what I have heard.

Interesting, but hardly conclusive.

Dvander77

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I did the take it out and plug it back in, and framerates are back to playable, but the fps isn't where it was before ( it's around 80- 100 at the beginning). Crysis is also playable again (not much lag). The video card i have is also factory overclocked (the 880 mhz one from msi) I forgot to mention. thanks for the replies btw, any more suggestions?

Can you do a few more tests? Does your FPS stay consistent? If it stays 80-100FPS, that is great. Your FPS should drop in SC games. The reason is they will build more armies and buildings using more of your CPU.