Help with gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2011 8:10:45 PM

Hey I'm going to be building a new system for gaming

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week'ish

Budget Range: 800 without tax

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming and photoshop cs4

Parts Not Required: monitor, keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Tiger Direct and Canada Computers because they have stores nearby

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Amd cpu and at mid tower case)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: needs to last 2 yrs, good with cooling noise doesn't matter

to is my first build and some conponents i would like to use are

CPU
($209)-i5 2500k
or
($159)-AMD Phenom II X4 970

MOBO
($80)-dont know anytihng about them
PSU
($67)-Cooler Master RS700-PCAAE3-US Power Plus 700-Watt Power Supply

CASE
($39)-Thermaltake Mid Tower Gaming Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 4x Ext 5.25", 1x Ext 3.5", 4x Int 3.5", 1x 120mm Blue LED Fan, 2x Front USB Ports

Graphics
($129)-Radeon HD 6770
($180)-XFX HD-685X-ZNBC Radeon HD 6850 Black Edition

RAM
($75) - i need some good ram

so since this is my first build are there any mistakes im going to make with these parts?

More about : gaming rig

September 19, 2011 8:50:35 PM

As for processor I personally own a Phenom II X4 965 which is essentially the same thing with a slightly smaller multiplier and it runs very very fast but to be honest that was only because I already owned an AM3 motherboard. Starting from scratch I would recommend the 2500k for only $50 more.

As for the Motherboard, you're stretching yourself pretty thin with only an $80 budget. I found a decent one on tigerdirect for that price but it has very few bells and whistles. You get what you pay for. If you could allow yourself even $30-$40 more you could get much better quality.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

The 6770 is essentially a rebranded 5770 which I HAVE owned and it worked very well. It will play most everything you need it to unless you want ultra hardcore settings at 1980x1200 and still expect 75 fps.

I currently own a 6870 which isn't too far off from the 6850 and in my opinion the difference was worth the money, so it's up to you on the graphics card, either is a solid choice.

For RAM, for $75 there's not much place to go wrong. Just brand suggestions you can get a good amount of G-skill or mushkin, or anything else really as long as you go DDR3 and personal suggestion at least 1333Mhz

You'll have yourself a respectably solid build with that. But once again, if you can at all, try to give yourself some more breathing room motherboard wise. You get what you pay for
!