Which AM3 CPU is worth upgrading to from Athlon II X4 635?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I currently have an Athlon II x4 635 2.9GHz, and I'm looking at upgrading. Not sure which CPU is worth upgrading to for the next 1 year at least.

I saw a Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz for $120. Is something like this worth upgrading to? I'm not too interested in OC'ing because I tried that out and didn't work so well for me (OC noob = instability and overheating). I just want a faster cpu which preferably draws about the same amount of power as the Athlon 2 I have right now (is that possible). Anyway, thanks.

Solution
Are you looking for better overall system performance or more FPS in games?

An SSD will be much more of an improvement on the overall speed feel and multitasking than a cpu upgrade would ( there is less room for improvement is what I mean, unless you're encoding or compressing lots of files or something like that). It will not give better framerates in games but the system will boot in like 10 secs, 3 secs shutdowns, everything will open hell of alot faster, etc.

fuggles

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
what watts can you take ? 95w or 125 w ??

How about a 960t ? or

AMD Phenom II X4 965

or a X6 1035T, six core processor.

the 960t however, unlocks, (not overclocks) to a six core processor if your motherboard supports it, so you could save the money.

What is your motherboard ?

Unlocking is very easy and much easier than overclocking, you jsut change 2 settings and it is done

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006

Following Tom's CPU chart rule of thumb, there is nothing worth upgrading.

Get an SSD instead if you have $120 burning a hole in your pocket or save the money to get yourself a Sandy Bridge setup that much faster.

Nibhor

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hi,

In my opinion, you have only two valuable options:

- buy a cheap cpu cooler, read some tutorials and have some fun overclocking.
If you really not into overclocking:
- Save and wait for Ivi Bridge

Any other Amd alternatives won't get you any substantial gains.
You can push your cpu easily to 3.4-3.5 Ghz.

My cpu: Athlon II x3 435 @ phenom II x4 3.67 Ghz 1.42v

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Quite a bit if done right, my 3dmark06 score went from 17800 to 20000+ after changing my phenom from 3.2 to 3.6ghz ( and that's 0.4ghz) which ofcourse translates into framerates. It will vary alot depending on the app though, some may not show any difference at all.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Ok so I see now that's it's about neck & neck with my current athlon x4. I have a zalman copper heatsink/fan that I installed for overclocking. I tried it out and got to 3.2GHz, but the comp was blue-screening like crazy. I also managed to kill my graphics card back then, as well, cuz of the OC'ing.

I have this mofo in my system http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4A785M/#specifications so it supports 125W AM3

I'm willing to try to OC again, but can someone point me in a good direction for a board like mine? I tried a few sites, and that led me to the situation I explained above. Otherwise, I'll look at an SSD like stardude said.

I think the Ivi bridge is out of the question. That'd mean having to get extra things - __ - I wish

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Are you looking for better overall system performance or more FPS in games?

An SSD will be much more of an improvement on the overall speed feel and multitasking than a cpu upgrade would ( there is less room for improvement is what I mean, unless you're encoding or compressing lots of files or something like that). It will not give better framerates in games but the system will boot in like 10 secs, 3 secs shutdowns, everything will open hell of alot faster, etc.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.