Sign in with
Your question

Video card question

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2011 1:51:56 AM

Hello. Going to be building my pc this weekend. Question...I have new, AMD a8-3859 with mobo
ASUS F1A75-V PRO R. My issue, I was using the older PC for watching videos, connected with a 2003 model GeForce video card, which has S Video connection, which connected perfectly with my Phillips 55" projection TV. This mobo does not have svideo. I don't really wanna buy new video card. What is the likely hood of older GeFroce video card being compatible with this new mobo? My old mobo is the a8n-sli.
I have not cracked open old pc so can't drop ya exact model of vid card, as of now. I wanna say it's a 6200, and this card was new in 2003. I could drop cash on a new card, however, when my older tv craps out, it obviously will be newer technology equiptment. Thx for any advice.

More about : video card question

a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2011 8:28:19 AM

well the big question that you need to find out is what interface your old card is, If it's the older AGP, then it will NOT be compatible with your new motherboard, if it's PCI-E then it will be, PCI-E cards are backwards compatible.
July 20, 2011 8:54:39 AM

Adam, gonna crack open the case this morning and have a look. I'll post back with the details. Thx for the reply. DM
Related resources
July 20, 2011 1:06:09 PM

adam_x_brookes said:
well the big question that you need to find out is what interface your old card is, If it's the older AGP, then it will NOT be compatible with your new motherboard, if it's PCI-E then it will be, PCI-E cards are backwards compatible.

EVGA nVidia e-GeForce 6200LE. It is in a blue slot on the board, which the book indicates PCIEX16.
July 21, 2011 1:33:32 AM

I'm having a change of mind with my old pc, and is to leave it alone, including the motherboard. I'll then need a new video card, which will be mainly used for htpc type business and no big gaming. So quiet, low heat, compatible with my already given momb/cpu. Just need to make sure it either has d-sub or s-video, as my older t.v. is set up that-a-way. I definetly need to be able to use this one computer, to watch 2 different t.v's, with the possibility of say, 2 different movies and the same time. (i'm not talking about cable, ant. or sattelite, which I know is another story)
Thx for any advise. DM
!