Sign in with
Your question

Sabretooth 990FX boot from removable media

Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2012 2:31:10 AM

Hello,
I have my system partition in an IDE drive (Was E:)  and boot partition (C:\Windows) on a SATA. This MOBO doesn't include IDE controller so I cannot load Windows. I don't see anywhere on BIOS boot order or preference to boot from an external or removable media. I'm trying to boot from my IDE Plugged externally to USB port via adapter kit. I cannot create a MBR in the SATA drive neither. I tried boot from CD and run FixMBR and Fixboot through Recovery Console and Repair option through Windows setup. The only solution I see is reinstall fresh Windows XP on C:
Please, How can I repair/recover my XP installation?
October 4, 2012 2:45:35 AM

Unless you can revert to your old motherboard, you probably can't do anything other than a complete re-install. No offense, but you should have accounted for this before upgrading your motherboard.

You might get away with using an IDE/PATA to SATA adapter, but those don't have an excellent track record (they work for some people and don't for some others).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 2:53:09 AM

Even if you could plug in the IDE drive you wouldn't be able to boot off of it because your windows drivers would all be configured for the old motherboard. You're better off doing a clean install anyway just for that reason. You should be able to put the IDE drive into an external enclosure with a IDE to USB adaptor. Then you would be able to access the data on it.
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2012 3:01:36 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Even if you could plug in the IDE drive you wouldn't be able to boot off of it because your windows drivers would all be configured for the old motherboard. You're better off doing a clean install anyway just for that reason. You should be able to put the IDE drive into an external enclosure with a IDE to USB adaptor. Then you would be able to access the data on it.

It's unlikely that it would work with the new motherboard even if OP's system drive could be plugged in, but sometimes it does. It's not a guarantee either way.
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:25:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. First, I was aware of no IDE controller in this mobo. I can access the data on the IDE HD through the IDE/SATA to USB adapter. I can access the SATA partitions with Recovery Console too. My plan was to install Win7 64 in this system, but I'll get a new HD, even if I'm pretty sure I have everything Backup in the IDE drive and an external 1TB HD. The SATA is partitioning as C: (XP) and D: (some music I can get back). What do you think about using this drive instead of buying a new one but install Win7 in the D: partition. I can then access the XP partition to make sure I move important files and then format and using it again for more data.
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:41:11 AM

I'd just recommend installing Windows 7 on the best hard drive that you have (preferably SATA) if you don't want to buy a new one. Do what you have to with data, backups, and such with any other drives that you want to.
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:48:38 AM

the SATA is my best/fastest/newest drive is a 500GB, but as I said. I have an XP installation in the first partition. I think installing Win 7 in the second partition so I can always access the first one in case I have any valuable document still there... Right?
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:58:02 AM

Davesdream said:
the SATA is my best/fastest/newest drive is a 500GB, but as I said. I have an XP installation in the first partition. I think installing Win 7 in the second partition so I can always access the first one in case I have any valuable document still there... Right?

If you already have the second partition and it's no smaller than 30GB or so, then go ahead.
m
l
!