Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • HDMI
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
December 21, 2011 1:32:34 AM

I have no idea what's going on right now.

First time builder, and it's so annoying, and now I get this, after I think I'm done with the computer building part.

This is the monitor I purchased from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the graphics card I got:

(I am using the dvi thing I received with the graphics card; it is actually in one of the pictures in the display)

and if needed to know, this is the motherboard I purchased:

--

Now, this is what happens when I boot up the monitor.

1.) Acer logo pops up.

2.) Energy star logo pops up.

3.) Quick flash in top right corner saying HDMI 1 is not connected.

4.) Quick flash in top right corner saying HDMI 2 is not connected.

---> If I turn off the monitor then turn it back on, it randomly will say either HDMI not connected or VGA not connected.

5.) Blue box in middle with white letters "No Signal".

I tried maybe adjusting the settings with the buttons, but it won't even let me navigate anything. I press the buttons and nothing happens. The screen remains black like I didn't even touch a button.

The graphics card is definitely on, the fan is on, so I'm assuming that means it's plugged in.

What the hell is going on? The HDMI cord is connected to the monitor AND card, and it says it's not connected. I even tried another HDMI cord and it says the SAME THING to that cord. I hooked up the VGA cable to the DVI connector to connect it to the graphics card, and it says VGA not connected.

Also, my graphics card takes two DVI ports and that's it, so no where can I put a VGA cord at all.

What the hell is going on?

More about : monitor detecting dvi hdmi

a c 1430 U Graphics card
a c 104 C Monitor
December 21, 2011 1:37:12 AM

You hooked up the power cables from the PSU to the card?
m
l
December 21, 2011 1:43:20 AM

You mean the PCI express cords? I have two of them plugged into the Power Supply from the Card itself.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2011 1:46:13 AM

Also to just test the monitor out, I connected my old dell monitor and tried it, and it went straight to power saving mode.
m
l
a c 1430 U Graphics card
a c 104 C Monitor
December 21, 2011 1:59:15 AM

Your card is not sending out signal! Here is our guide with a link to bread boarding take a look at it or go through it step by step but if everything is connected right then either the card or the motherboard come under suspicion http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
December 21, 2011 2:04:21 AM

so u want me to take the motherboard out completely with the video card and try it from there....? ugh man
m
l
a c 1430 U Graphics card
a c 104 C Monitor
December 21, 2011 2:26:04 AM

if you have a case speaker just remove the card if the motherboard beeps on start up because of lack of GPU then it is most likely DOA card!
m
l
December 21, 2011 2:39:47 AM

if there is no beep at all then it must be the motherboard then right...?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 2:43:29 AM

A few other thoughts come to mind, just in case you haven't solved the problem yet...

Per the user's manual:

1. In single VGA card mode, it is recommended to install a PCI Express
x16 graphics card on PCIE2 slot.
2. In CrossFireXTM mode or SLITM mode, please install PCI Express x16
graphics cards on PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots. Therefore, both these two
slots will work at x8 bandwidth.
3. In 3-Way CrossFireXTM mode, please install PCI Express x16
graphics cards on PCIE2, PCIE4 and PCIE5 slots. Therefore, PCIE2
and PCIE4 slots will work at x8 bandwidth while PCIE5 slot will work
at x4 bandwidth.
4. Please connect a chassis fan to motherboard chassis fan connector
(CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 or CHA_FAN3) when using multiple
graphics cards for better thermal environment.
5. To run the PCI Express in Gen 3 speed, please must install the Ivy
Bridge CPU which supports PCI Express Gen3. If you install the
Sandy Bridge CPU, the PCI Express will run only at PCI Express Gen
2 speed.

Also, the absence of display can be attributed to a defective PSU (or under powered) and/or bad RAM. After reviewing some pictures of your mobo, I suspect it does not have a speaker affixed for error beeps; however, it does have an LED panel for debugging. Look at the code displayed on the panel, it may offer some insight to your trouble.
m
l
a c 1430 U Graphics card
a c 104 C Monitor
December 21, 2011 2:48:04 AM

T_T said:
A few other thoughts come to mind, just in case you haven't solved the problem yet...

Per the user's manual:

1. In single VGA card mode, it is recommended to install a PCI Express
x16 graphics card on PCIE2 slot.
2. In CrossFireXTM mode or SLITM mode, please install PCI Express x16
graphics cards on PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots. Therefore, both these two
slots will work at x8 bandwidth.
3. In 3-Way CrossFireXTM mode, please install PCI Express x16
graphics cards on PCIE2, PCIE4 and PCIE5 slots. Therefore, PCIE2
and PCIE4 slots will work at x8 bandwidth while PCIE5 slot will work
at x4 bandwidth.
4. Please connect a chassis fan to motherboard chassis fan connector
(CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 or CHA_FAN3) when using multiple
graphics cards for better thermal environment.
5. To run the PCI Express in Gen 3 speed, please must install the Ivy
Bridge CPU which supports PCI Express Gen3. If you install the
Sandy Bridge CPU, the PCI Express will run only at PCI Express Gen
2 speed.

Also, the absence of display can be attributed to a defective PSU (or under powered) and/or bad RAM. After reviewing some pictures of your mobo, I suspect it does not have a speaker affixed for error beeps; however, it does have an LED panel for debugging. Look at the code displayed on the panel, it may offer some insight to your trouble.

^+1 Good points! (I am always going by the assumption that people read the manual!)
m
l
December 21, 2011 2:50:51 AM

I just put it in the PCi-2 slot, the same thing is coming up. Also, if there is no beep now from the motherboard, does that mean the motherboard is done?
m
l
a c 1430 U Graphics card
a c 104 C Monitor
December 21, 2011 2:52:38 AM

Only if you have a case speaker! Have you tried removing ram as well?
m
l
December 21, 2011 2:56:34 AM

I removed the ram and the mobo stopped working. I put the ram in different places and that also did nothing. :/ 
m
l
a c 1430 U Graphics card
a c 104 C Monitor
December 21, 2011 2:58:15 AM

Do you have a case speaker?
m
l
December 21, 2011 2:58:57 AM

How do I check if I do? I'm not familiar with that term sorry lol :S

I know that a few days ago when i did my first external build there was a beep, and today there is definitely no beep
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 3:05:44 AM

kezzik said:
I removed the ram and the mobo stopped working.

??? Please describe what you mean by "stopped working." More to the point if you're not getting a display, what difference did you notice that led you to believe your mobo stopped working (which implies it was "working" to begin with).

Typically what happens when you remove the RAM from a working mobo is:

1. Beep errors (if speaker is connected to the mobo)
2. Debug codes
3. No display
4. Any combination of the above
m
l
December 21, 2011 3:08:00 AM

T_T said:
??? Please describe what you mean by "stopped working." More to the point if you're not getting a display, what difference did you notice that led you to believe your mobo stopped working (which implies it was "working" to begin with).

Typically what happens when you remove the RAM from a working mobo is:

1. Beep errors (if speaker is connected to the mobo)
2. Debug codes
3. No display
4. Any combination of the above

I turned on the motherboard without any memory. The fan was on, then turned off 2-3 seconds later. There was no post beep.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 3:14:40 AM

What you described is really odd behavior. Which fan are you referring to?

1. CPU Heatsink fan
2. PSU fan
3. One or more case/chassis fan

I suspect you have a short somewhere, what were your results of the breadboarding?
m
l
December 21, 2011 3:19:16 AM

This would be the CPU heatsink fan.

Also, all of these results I am currently reporting are breadboarding right now, the MOBO is outside of the case with the PSU, GPU, and memory.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 3:31:06 AM

Please post a link to the PSU you have. Also, see if you can get your hands on a digital multimeter to test the voltages of the PSU's P1 connector, while it is connected to the mobo with the power to the mobo on.

If you are able to test the voltages they should be somewhat similar to the following:

Yellow = +12 V
Red = +5 V
Orange = + 3.3 V
Green = + 5 V
Blue = - 12 V
Purple = +5 V standby
Brown = +3.3 V
Gray should go from 0 V to +5 V (this is when the switch is turned toggled on)

Note: there is an acceptable tolerance of +/- 10%, anything outside of this variance would raise concerns of a defective PSU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 11:02:28 PM

The OCZ MSXP 700W is sufficient enough to power up your GPU with all other devices connected, provided that there isn't anything wrong with it. If you haven't done so already, work through the no boot/no display troubleshooting guide (link in my signature), and if still nothing brings up your display, consider these less obvious options:

1. Swap the PSU with a known-working one. If the PSU you intend to swap out isn't powerful enough to power up the entire system, remove all devices except for CPU/heatsink, RAM, PSU, and GPU.

2. Use a different DVI-to-VGA adaptor

3. Switch the 4-pin CPU cable to the 8-pin (or 8 to 4, if already using the 8-pin)

4. Read through the mobo user manual to see if there is a troubleshooting guide for the debug codes
m
l
!