I couldn't find this specifically posted anywhere, so I thought I would post it up here. For the last few weeks I have been battling to get two 16gb kits (4x4gb) and (4x4gb) two work together and be stable on my mobo. I looked all over the net and I couldn't find anything that specifically fit my situation, so I thought I would post how I got it stable in hopes that it will help someone else down the road.
Big thanks goes to jaquith. Without his base work that I gleaned from other threads he replied to, I would have never been able to get this done.
Motherboard: Asus TUF series Sabertooth X79
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 16gb kit x2 (CMT16GX3M4X2133C9)
RAM Profile: XMP
**Because XMP automatically overclocked my processor from 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz, I had to raise my Vcore slightly to get the overclock stable.
What I Did:
In order to get the ram to make 5 passes of memtest86+ with no errors, I had to adjust some voltages, the CAS timings and the PLL. It should be noted that some of these settings could probably be dialed down a bit, but I don't have time to incrementally test that.
Raise DRAM bank voltages from 1.5v to 1.55v
Raise VCCSA voltage up to 1.2V
Raise VTT voltage up to 1.2V
Raise PLL to 2V
Adjust CAS timings to 10 10 10 30 2N
After doing these things, I was able to get 5 passes with memtest, having all 8 DIMM slots populated with both kits. AIDA64 stress test also runs buttery smooth with no errors.
If you have a similar setup to mine or then identical one, I hope this helps you out.
True, but where I am located in the world, a kit like that is hard to find. So, the best I could get out of the vendor I used was two kits of 16gb that populated all the DIMM slots. The point of this how to was to help any other lost souls that wound up in my situation. I would rather someone stumble across my post and solve their problem in 5 minutes than the over the week it took me.
Unless I've set something that is going to cause my computer to go boom, I'm quite happy with getting it stable. I've been fighting with this issues for weeks and the only reason why I was able to solve it is that I'm on a week's national holiday right now. This is my main computer and I don't have much time for it to be down for maintenance and tweaks.