580 GTX Team Fortress 2 lag

oblivion666

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I am using a i7 920 that runs at 4.0 exactly. 12GB ddr3 memory on a 580 GTX. Full load is a max of 61C. Normally I will get 300-400 FPS in Team Fortress 2 with everything on high. Sounds nice, but I am still getting massive stutter when my FPS dips from 300 down to 220 I get lag so bad that I can't even really turn the mouse. Why am I getting fps lag only when it dips no matter how high my FPS is as soon as it dips I get massive lag my FPS has never dropped below 120. Did all the drivers older drivers newest ones beta ones no luck. I use to run a 295 GTX which never stuttered like this even when it hit below 100 FPS but this 580 just gets choppy even at 200.

oblivion666

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I said the card hits 61C full load which really is not that high at all the normal processor heat is not an issue 40-60

I set the max prerendered frames to 8 and it stopped the majority of the stuttering but it still happens on big dips even tho my FPS is in the hundreds

Everything is in this huge antec 1200 case we can fully limit out heat as an issue

I notice that when the dips do happen my GPU usage goes down to 30% but when its at 70% or higher im rocking 300+ FPS steady. Still why would I be lagging even if it does dip down to 200 fps

oblivion666

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I said my CARD runs at 61 so we would assume that is my GPU unless you confused it with soundcard. Regardless 61 CPU and GPU are normal temperatures. Nothing is overclocked complete stock speeds. Ping is stable never goes above 40 this is fps lag not latency.

oblivion666

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
1000watt PSU Playing TF2 at 60FPS is unplayable. The lag is so extreme it does not dip at all constant 60 and it is so choppy even with triple buffering.

I noticed that I get higher FPS with my graphic settings turned up higher it uses more of the GPU percentage while when playing on low the GPU usage sits at 20-30% causing it to actually get lower FPS than playing maxed out. If I could get the GPU usage to sit at high percentages while on low I could easily achieve 500+ FPS but no clue how to.

Have you tried taking a look at your Nvidia Control Panel settings? There are a couple settings that just aren't supported on certain games. Ambient Occlusion and Transparency Antialiasing are a couple prime culprits. There is also the setting for Multi-display performance mode. Be sure to turn it to Single display. Also check out that one for power management and see if Prefer maximum performance helps.

Otherwise, you should have every single last setting turned up to full maximum, including AA and AF. You can even enable the Ultra High Quality texture setting.

oblivion666

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Problem was as ridiculous as this seems my i7 running at 4.0 ghz was almost maxed out..... causing my video card to dip DPS. I am running a creative x-fi titanium and the drivers alone for Dolby Digital Live! use up to 20% of my CPU.... sound card for gamers my ass

Creative has a ways to go with their drivers. My next thought was going to be that the lag was caused elsewhere in the system.