Unknown Problem

havoc2189

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hi guys. I had what I thought was originally a short, but I'm getting more and more confused each time I work on the machine. The computer is turning on (i.e. the fans and LEDs are on), but it doesn't seem to be posting. Before the supposed short, the PC would beep a couple of times, but now it doesn't. There is also no apparent signal going to the monitor. I thought it was the graphics card at first, so I bought a brand new one and replaced it, but it didn't do anything. At this point, I had a friend look at it, as well as the IT department at my college. The conclusion was that I needed a new motherboard. I finally bought one that was compatible with all of my current hardware within the machine, but it is still having the same problem after replacing the motherboard. I then thought it might have been the PSU, so I borrowed a PSU with a similar wattage from my friend. Still, the same problem. I even checked to make sure it wasn't my monitor, but it displayed properly when running off of my friend's computer. Would anyone have an idea why my computer isn't posting or displaying anything on the monitor that isn't related to the graphics card, motherboard, or PSU?

Solution
Looks like the only thing you haven't checked is the RAM.

How many RAM stick do you have?
If you have only 1, replace it.
If you have more than 1, leave only 1 stick in the RAM slot & take out the rest. Try each stick 1 by 1. If the cause of the problem is defective RAM or RAMs, you should be able to make it work by doing this.

randomkid

Distinguished
Looks like the only thing you haven't checked is the RAM.

How many RAM stick do you have?
If you have only 1, replace it.
If you have more than 1, leave only 1 stick in the RAM slot & take out the rest. Try each stick 1 by 1. If the cause of the problem is defective RAM or RAMs, you should be able to make it work by doing this.

Solution

lowriderflow

Distinguished
what kind of video card did you replace it with? What was original video card?
My first guess is that you didn't connect the new graphics card with additional power cables (6pin?, 6+6pin?, 6+8pin?)

Possible explaination: old video card died, say an old 7500gt? you replaced it with a 9800gt that needs the additional power input... if you dont get it that power, often times it will turn on and spin but not output anything

does the old or new motherboard have onboard video? have u tried using that?
What kind of motherboard old/new?
DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS!

havoc2189

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Well I tried switching out some of the sticks of RAM, and it booted up for the first time in over a year! Everything seems to be doing just fine, however, I'm still only hopefully optimistic. I have to say though that I never once thought it could have been the RAM that was causing this problem. Could you explain to me why this is?