Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my motherboard DOA?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 4, 2012 8:02:52 AM

Ok so the parts in question are:

Intel i5 3750k
G1.Sniper 3
Corsair vengeance LP 8gb
Amd 7970
Corsair professional hx850

I set the parts up in my case exactly how the newegg videos instructed(1st build) but I can't get past the POST, the LED display shows error codes 15- northern memory bridge initializing, and 53- error initializing memory.

The ram is not DOA, as I bought the same ram from best buy and it didn't fix the problem. The ram is compatible too, according to the user manual. So is my motherboard DOA? Or is it the CPU?

More about : motherboard doa

a c 435 V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 10:26:04 AM

Please list your motherboard make and model number. It might need a bios update to run your cpu.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 10:32:33 AM

o1die said:
Please list your motherboard make and model number. It might need a bios update to run your cpu.

he did G1 sniper 3 its a gigabyte
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 10:35:55 AM

Alex19420 said:
Ok so the parts in question are:

Intel i5 3750k
G1.Sniper 3
Corsair vengeance LP 8gb
Amd 7970
Corsair professional hx850

I set the parts up in my case exactly how the newegg videos instructed(1st build) but I can't get past the POST, the LED display shows error codes 15- northern memory bridge initializing, and 53- error initializing memory.

The ram is not DOA, as I bought the same ram from best buy and it didn't fix the problem. The ram is compatible too, according to the user manual. So is my motherboard DOA? Or is it the CPU?


pull it out and bench it with nothing ram and psu use your onboard video and also reset the bios just to make sure. as oldie said it may need bios update and in that case you may need to get your hands on a 2nd gen 'i' cpu
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 3:32:11 PM

Would a cheap i3 work? Because I don't want to waste more money only to not have it work again. :/  and yea I reset CMOS a few times, nothing, will try running it with only ram.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 7:09:43 PM

Alex19420 said:
Would a cheap i3 work? Because I don't want to waste more money only to not have it work again. :/  and yea I reset CMOS a few times, nothing, will try running it with only ram.

you could get cheap celeron they are like 30-40 bucks, but yeah both the north bridge and memory controller are on the cpu so i sounds like it could be a bios or you could go to a compu store where they may have a cpu sitting around for this very occassion surely they would charge to much just to do a bios
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 9:14:16 PM

Ok, I tried running it without anything but ram like you said and it cuts on for about 2 seconds then goes down. Does that mean anything or is it still most likely the bios?
m
0
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 9:34:17 PM

You need the cpu/heatsink and at least one stick of ram to get a post screen. Try removing the motherboard button battery for one minute, and reinstall. There's a seller at anandtech's for sale forum with a g530 for $33 shipped. Or $38 w/heatsink. Best deal I could find.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 10:02:13 PM

Ok, I'll go to best buy and get one for 40 so I don't have to wait for shipping, and try it.
I don't want to wait for shipping because if something actually is DOA there's only a certain time I can wait to RMA.

Also I don't think I need to reseat the battery because the g1.sniper 3 has aCMOS button as well as an alternate BIOS switch, unless you think it will make more of a difference.
Anyway I'll repost when I've tried this and let you guys know what happens, thanks for responding.

Edit: ordered one off amazon, bestbuy apparently doesn't carry CPUs of any kind anymore,save their online store. It should be here on Saturday.
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 4:55:06 PM

Got my intel celeron g530 which is sandy bridge and lga1155 so there should be no issue, I still get the same damn error :/ 
m
0
l
!