USB3 "Compliance mode"?

MistaHardkill

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
So, got my USB3 devices working. It's awesome.

However, one of those devices, an external drive, despite working great once plugged in, does not work at boot.

What do I mean? Well, if I plug it in and use it (my steam drive is the one I'm referring to), I can use it with absolutely zero interruptions. Works a treat. However, if I reboot, it doesn't get recognized. I get "the usb device has malfunctioned" etc, and in Device Manager, I see "Unknown USB Device (Link in Compliance Mode)"

How does one make this go away? I have the most up to date drivers, and firmware. It only happens at boot. If I unplug and replug while it's running, it works great. Also, the BIOS recognizes it as well. So, it's not the device...I don't see how that would overload USB3 with the bandwidth it has. Plus if it was overloading, it would typically kick off everything attached to USB3...that and wouldn't work perfectly after just a replug after boot.

I'm lost here.

Do you boot from a SSD? Then it might be a problem of spin-up time. The disk needs some seconds to spin-up before windows can read the file system. If you PC boots to fast the disk is not ready to answer the request. That's not a problem for bios, because it doesn't care about the content of the drive and get it's info from the controller.

MistaHardkill

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

Actually...I am booting from an SSD. Any way around this? And why does it happen with one USB3 hard drive and not another?