How to install a power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

xstealthshotx

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I'm bought a GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card for my Dell Insprion 530 and on another of my forums someone told me that the graphics card that i bought requires 500W and that this power supply would be the best fit for the job "Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2 Builder Series™ CX500 Power Supply - 500W, 80 Plus, 120mm Fan, Single +12V Rail, Active PFC". I was just wondering if it WOULD be the best fit for my computer and can someone tell me how to install a power supply into my computer.

Website for my compter:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-inspiron-530/4507-3118_7-32953389.html?tag=mncol;subnav

Website of the Graphics card:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-560ti-us.html

Website of the Power supply:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=422168&SRCCODE=BIZRATE&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB5ObkkzCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=22-191082329-2

Solution
well, corsair is a good brand for power supply, i'd go with that (i'd aim for the 550-600 watt option, personally)
well, if this is your first time installing power supply, do try to be extra careful.
First, make sure it's not plugged to any power socket (pull the plug)
second, read the motherboard manual
then read it again
again,
again,
and again, until you're familiar with each jack, plug and socket there
take a look at your new power supply, take note and get familiar with each socket figures
then open your pc case (make sure to unplug it first)
see if it's possible to remove all the wiring from power supply without taking the motherboard out of the case (SEE it first, don't just go and try it)
then remove those plug one by one...
Dell has a habit of using not standard size PSU's.....if this is the situation you are in, the rest does not apply.

Replacing the PSU means, pulling the 24 pin MoBo cable, 4 or 8 pin CPU power cable, SATA power cable, then replacing all of the above. You'll also need to connect two PCI-E power cables to the 560. Might be a molex for a fan or something...unless you have a very old pre-SATA PC.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
well, corsair is a good brand for power supply, i'd go with that (i'd aim for the 550-600 watt option, personally)
well, if this is your first time installing power supply, do try to be extra careful.
First, make sure it's not plugged to any power socket (pull the plug)
second, read the motherboard manual
then read it again
again,
again,
and again, until you're familiar with each jack, plug and socket there
take a look at your new power supply, take note and get familiar with each socket figures
then open your pc case (make sure to unplug it first)
see if it's possible to remove all the wiring from power supply without taking the motherboard out of the case (SEE it first, don't just go and try it)
then remove those plug one by one, take note of the figures of each plugs. Try matching it with the new power supply figure. Also do remember where they go on the motherboard. Also do note there are some plugs with locking mechanism, you can't just pull it with force.
After that unscrew the old power supply from the case, put the new one. Plug the wirings (you better take notes of where those go when you unplug the old one, also note the creaves on the sockets)
Good luck!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.