Abit AW9D-MAX - Big Problem

j_a_m_i_e123

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hi there,

I recently attempted to upgrade my CPU from an E6600 2.4ghz dual core to Q6700 2.66ghz quad core. I simply unplugged the PC and swapped the processors/heatsinks. Here's what happened:

- Windows loaded as normal and registered the new processor and 4 cores but then crashed after about 2 mins. I tried this a few times with the same result.
- Looking in BIOS I noticed the temp of the new CPU was being registered at about 95 degrees so I stopped trying this!
- Instead I reverted to E6600 processor (but with the new heatsink (which was the same as the old one anyway)) to see if heatsink was the issue. Everything worked perfectly.

So I decided to download latest BIOS version (aw9dv17) to see if this would help. This is where it all went very wrong:

- Booted the files in DOS from a bootable USB device and ran the update (runme.bat).
- The update seemed to be successful (it completed).
- It then automatically restarted the PC and froze at POST screen (cool new picture of a Samurai guy)
- I tried this a few times with the same result.
- Opened up and looked at the LED's on the motherboard while booting. Always froze at 56 on LED display (not a code listed in the ABIT manual or on the site). PC stays on but frozen.
- I powered down and reset CMOS (moved jumper from 1/2 to 2/3 and back) for 5 mins + removed CMOS battery and also 3 sticks of Ram (I heard that can help). But it still freezes at 56 of POST.
- The only acception is occasionally it will restart itself instead of freezing. If this happens it happens at code '52' of POST (or Samurai man).
- I tried this a number of times and the latest development was that the PC literally started powering down of its own accord before the freeze even occurred :(
- One thing I have noticed is if I TAB to the POST screen (instead of the not-so-cool-anymore Samurai guy) the CPU readings seem to change randomly. Once it said "2.40GHz (266x6.0, 1 CPUs)" and another time it said "2.40GHz (266x9.0, >3 CPU's). Another time It said "<10 CPUs". Weird.

Any ideas? Right now I don't care about the new processor, I'd just like my old PC running. Is there some other way to roll back to the old BIOS manually?

PC set up (running without a hitch since 2007, upgraded GPU in 2011).

ABIT AW9D-MAX
4x1G Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz DC
E6600 2.4ghz dual core
EarthWatts 500W
NVIDIA GTX 460 768MB
2x SATA HDD

j_a_m_i_e123

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Ok - simpler question since I don't seem to have any takers on the beast above:

Given that I'm still seeing the new 'samurai guy' POST screen (if only for a few seconds before it crashes), does that mean that my efforts to reset the CMOS are not working? I.e. if I was successfully resetting the CMOS wouldn't it roll back to the old POST screen?

I'm wondering if ordering a new BIOS Chip from Ebay with the correct BIOS pre-installed would do the trick?

j_a_m_i_e123

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Downloaded update from Abit site. Its latest official bios for my board (1.7)

New info. Turns out the error code was 5b not 56. 5b is "show message for entering AWDFLASH.exe from FDD (if available)". In POST I can see a message saying "press alt+F2 to enter AWDFLASH.exe" although it crashes or freezes before I can hit alt F2.

Any ideas?

j_a_m_i_e123

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Sounds like the issue is with my GFX card (GTX 460) conflicting with the upgraded ABIT BIOS. A few other people have seen the exact same POST freezing issue on BIOS v 1.7 with the 460.

I've ordered a cheap GDDR2 video card to try. Hopefully I can get it to post and then roll back the BIOS to v 1.5 or 1.6 and use my 460 again. The question then is will I be able to get the 460 and Q6700 processor working at the same time. Seems doubtful.

j_a_m_i_e123

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Ok, so it POSTED first time when I put the old GFX card in - as expected it was a BIOS/GFX conflict on the aw9d_17 BIOS.

Interestingly, however, the CPU (E6600, 2.4ghz) was running at around 75c - 85c (factory default clock). So I rolled back to aw9d_16 and it POSTED fine with the GTX460 but cpu temp still up at 80c+. Only on aw9d_15 and below did the CPU run at usual 35c. It wasn't just a mis-reading as I could literally feel the heat coming off it. Weird.

Anyway. In summary you can't have a Q6xxx processor and a GTX460 on the ABIT AW9D-MAX motherboard simultaneously. The Q6xxx will only run on BIOS 17, and the GTX460 will only run on BIOS 16 or earlier.

Pants.

Anyone want to buy a (basically brand new) Q6700 + heatsink?

slaponte

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I don't have a link to share, but upon installing a GTX560 on my AW9D it stopped posting. Then, somewhere I read that if you plug a usb memory card on the back of it it would post. And, believe it or not, it did. So today I run it with a small usb flash card inserted in one of the usb ports in the back. Has been running fine.

That of course doesn't address the hot running cpu, but it is something else to try I guess.

I feel sad to have to leave it behind, but I guess my last ABit MB is out the door. Moving to an I7 setup. :(

Rocxylemmon

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008

I had installed the pci 3.0 gt 640sc by evga and with abit aw9 board bios 1.7 it would not get pass post code 87 or 86 or 8b so installed 1.5 bios and worked great and had to change cpu from user defined to the spesafied cpu.

Thanks to all who said to use 1.5 and the easyflash utility worked great.... Thanks a bunch.....

TRENDING THREADS