Best processor and motherboard for Virtualisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

muraligara

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello,

I need a good configuration for Learning Virtualisation technologies like ESX/XEN/KVM, with one cloud Integration tool opennebula, and my budget would be 300$ for both Mother board and CPU.

i am planning to go with the below configuration.

AMD Phenomon -II 1090T with ASUS / Gigabit board which supports 16GB of memory.

Intel I3-540 with Intel Board 55TC which supports 16GB memory.

at last its for just learning purpose(where i am going to run 6 or 7 VMs with out any application) and my budget would be around 300$ to 350$ for CPU and Mother Board.

Solution
I know AMD has great support for Virtualization software - but do do intel

I do beleive that the extra cores on the 1090T will help vastly though, assigning each VM to its own physical core rather than overloading 2 cores with hyperthreading with 3 VMs each.

I beleive the 1090t is the best option with your budget - with 6 VMs running on cores 0,1,2,3,4, and 5 each, respectivley you should get excellent performance.

And Cloud loves lots of cores.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I know AMD has great support for Virtualization software - but do do intel

I do beleive that the extra cores on the 1090T will help vastly though, assigning each VM to its own physical core rather than overloading 2 cores with hyperthreading with 3 VMs each.

I beleive the 1090t is the best option with your budget - with 6 VMs running on cores 0,1,2,3,4, and 5 each, respectivley you should get excellent performance.

And Cloud loves lots of cores.

Solution

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Your top performance will be with an i7 2600(K) - but for a decent mobo to go with it your looking at $450 there.
An i5 2500(k) will give you similar performance to a 1090T but as I said - 1 VM to each physical core is a nice option.
The extra few hundred Mhz from the 1100T compared to the 1090T all depends on the price difference, which in turn depends on where you get the components.
I would justify a $15 price increase for the extra few hundred Mhz if you dont intend to Overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.