PCI-X Intel Pro/1000MT Quad Port in Universal 3.3/5v PCI Slot

svtguy88

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I hope I have this in the right forum. First time posting here. This doesn't really fit into any of the categories.

I'm trying to use an Intel Pro/1000MT Quad Port Server adapter. My machine has full length (64 bit) PCI slots that run at 33 mhz. I realize this is a PCI-X card, technically, but PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI.

The card is keyed for a 3.3v ONLY PCI/PCI-X, 64 bit slot. The slots on my motherboard are of the 3.3/5v, universal variety.

I have re-keyed the card to fit in my PCI slots, as it should be electrically compatible, but my system will not boot (in fact, it doesn't power on. The fans begin to start, and then everything stops).

I read a support document from Intel (http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000mtquad/sb/cs-009537.htm), that explains the card will not fit in a universal 3.3/5v PCI slot, like I have. However, why does re-keying the card to fit the PCI slot not work?

Any help is appreciated. I can provide any/all additional information or photos, as necessary.

**edit**

I suppose I should provide the nitty gritty detais:

Powermac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet model) with lots of upgrades running on Linux 3.xxx (not sure exactly...I built it a few weeks ago).

svtguy88

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I appreciate the reply, but it isn't very constructive. The slot is a 3.3 or 5 volt slot, and compatible with both 32 and 64 bit cards. According to the original keying of the card, it is a 64 bit, 3.3 volt card.

My question remains: What is stopping the card from working?

The PCI pinouts are the same, as far as I know, no matter what the keying of the slot is. And my slot being of the "universal" type, it should be compatible with just about everything.

The card doesn't have the required logic to identify that it only is 3.3v compatible (that's why it doesn't have the 5v key). If the card was compatible with your computer, then you wouldn't have to modify the slot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI If you check the pinout, you'll see that while removing the key allowed the insertion of the card, it probably is grounded and that will cause issues. You have 2 options: use a compatible card or modify the slot to make it a 3.3v only slot. If you figure out how to do that, make sure that 5v only card can't be inserted.