Sign in with
Your question

Is my 5870 still enough for BF3?...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2011 12:41:26 PM

As the simple thread title says, my basic question for you all is whether a previous generation, reasonably high-end DX11 card like the 5870 is still going to be "good enough" for Battlefield 3 this fall. From my experience, the performance on DX11 features like tessellation is a little less than ideal with the 5870, so the discussion I suppose revolves around whether or not at 1920 x 1080 we think any slight DX11 shortcomings will be significant enough that a die hard BF fan like myself will be left feeling shortchanged? I can put up with dropping one or two effects a lil' south of Max, but I still want things to be gorgeous.

For that matter, out of curiosity, do you all think the likes of other single gpu cards such as the 6970 or the GTX 570 or GTX 580 will be able to handle BF3 with ALL the bells and whistles?

Also, would OC'ing my 5870 help at all with the DX11? I'm at stock clocks now, and been considering OC'ing anyway..

More about : 5870 bf3

July 20, 2011 1:29:20 PM

Get another and crossfire :D 

It should be fine with one though with a few settings at medium, Frostbite engine is mainly cpu dependant
July 20, 2011 2:11:53 PM

CF is an option as well, this is true. My concern would be that after laying out the cash I'd end up with two cards that still aren't terrific at DX11. And in that case (of spending a bundle of cash on another 5870) would I not be better off selling my 5870 and going with 1 (or 2) current generation DX11 cards instead?

My Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.6 ghz shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck... i hope.

Ultimately, maybe a nice little bump from an OC could get me within barking distance of Max DX11 settings... thoughts?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2011 2:25:25 PM

people are waay overestimating and hyping the game.Its not a pc exclusive like crysis 1 was.If it looks worse than crysis 1 and performs the same its just a case of a straight console port.Honestly I think your 5870 should max it out if you overclock it.
@everyone
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1164&ga...
We were told

'I cant say for certain, but I would think so. Although the Frostbite 2 engine (Frostbite 2 is the new BF3 game engine) is capable of far more than its predecessor (Frostbite 1.5 is the engine used on Bad Company 2) we are pretty confident that it will still only need the same sort of hardware to get it to run. Maybe we will see a small drop in frame rate due to the extra power used by BF3 with the FB2 engine but hopefully nothing to worry about.'

So from this snippet of gold we are going to put together our predicted Battlefield 3 system requirements

Battlefield 3 Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2Ghz or Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+

RAM: 2 GB

GFX: GeForce GT 240 or Radeon HD 5570

DX: 10

HDD: 15 GB

Battlefield 3 Recommended System Requirements

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8300 2.83Ghz or Phenom II X2 555

RAM: 4 GB

GFX: GeForce GTS 250 or Radeon HD 4830

GFX RAM: 512MB

DX: 11

Battlefield 3 Ultra System Requirements

CPU: Core i5-760 Quad 2.8GHz or Phenom II X4 965

RAM: 4 GB

GFX: GeForce GTX 460 or Radeon HD 5850

GFX RAM: 1GB
July 20, 2011 2:48:16 PM

Yeah, I've seen similar things around the web about the various system requirements, and they do give me hope. Thing is, after the DX11 patch for Crysis 2, I am no longer able to max out every setting. Don't get me wrong, I can run 95% of the settings at Max, but I have to dial back one or two to keep things as buttery as I'd like. This is what planted a seed of doubt that my 5870 would be able to truly max out BF3.

Would an overclock of around 6% or 7% be worth looking into?

I'm not too worried about temps as I have a nice CM 690 II case with tons of breathing room, but I'm not a "fan" of the noise made by the stock cooler when I'm ripping through games like F1 2010 at maxed out settings. So I'm not looking to go TOO crazy with the OC.
July 21, 2011 12:13:44 AM

Dude u are underestimating your system WAY too much. 955 should run ANY current game with no bottleneck/or fps problems. 5870 should be able to run fb3 easy, especially with some overclocking.
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 10:14:19 AM

curtox said:
Yeah, I've seen similar things around the web about the various system requirements, and they do give me hope. Thing is, after the DX11 patch for Crysis 2, I am no longer able to max out every setting. Don't get me wrong, I can run 95% of the settings at Max, but I have to dial back one or two to keep things as buttery as I'd like. This is what planted a seed of doubt that my 5870 would be able to truly max out BF3.

Would an overclock of around 6% or 7% be worth looking into?

I'm not too worried about temps as I have a nice CM 690 II case with tons of breathing room, but I'm not a "fan" of the noise made by the stock cooler when I'm ripping through games like F1 2010 at maxed out settings. So I'm not looking to go TOO crazy with the OC.

What settings did you have to lower in crysis 2?
July 23, 2011 10:15:31 PM

geis said:
Dude u are underestimating your system WAY too much. 955 should run ANY current game with no bottleneck/or fps problems. 5870 should be able to run fb3 easy, especially with some overclocking.

I agree with this - I have an ATI 5870 as well and I'm not concerned about BF3 at all - worst case scenario I turn down a couple settings which will make almost no difference to the overall visuals.

The CPU should be fine as well - it's a quad with decent speeds.
July 23, 2011 10:56:20 PM

Ok, that's what I was hoping too, that the worst case scenario is that I'd have to dial back one or two settings and that at 1080p, it'd hardly be noticeable.

As for Crysis 2, I can run everything at Ultra, except for Post Processing, which I dial down to Very High. And of course motion blur has to get turned down to Low or Disabled... which is fine me since I hate it anyway. You honestly can't see ANY difference anyway.
!