Bought 1600mhz but running on 1300

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I bought corsair vengenace 8gb 1600, but BIOS tells me it's running on 1333 (or 1300 can't remember).

How do I change this? Or should I change it at all?

Mobo is Asus P8H77-m

Look for something called xmp profile in your bios and enable it. You may also need to manually set the speed to 1600 mhz. I have the same ram as you by the way. This should work with sandy bridge as well, but it is not officially supported (OC).

^The OP has an H77, and it's not the same as a P67, Z68 or Z77 chipset where you can do anything you want.

I've seen this exact same issue plenty of times, and once the OP answers what CPU then if it's an Ivy Bridge change the BIOS.

Ok, straight from the manual:

(Where the X.M.P. Profile will be)
capture4y.png

An then, the RAM settings
capture5r.png

capture6k.png

capture7a.png

So, the board is capable of overclocking the RAM, and I don't really get why you (jaquith) say he needs to have an Ivy CPU for 1600 to work, otherwise.

It's because ONLY with an Ivy Bridge can the H77 use/allow >DDR3-1333.

Listen I know 100% that I'm correct, and I have NO DOUBTS! I found this out the hard way -- so I guess it's your turn to find out.

edit /You wasted your time proving you didn't read the specs. See my first post and if needed read the actual ASUS specs.

Even if it applies to H77 boards too, I need to understand why...

It makes no sense that you can overclock the RAM, but still not be able to overclock the RAM. You see what I'm saying? The CPU shouldn't play any part in that.

If it did, why can anybody with a SB CPU use >1333 RAM, even if the board allows them to?

Edit: And the very thing you quote shows faster RAM speeds (with OC) right above it. So, by your logic, you shouldn't be able to use >1600 RAM with an Ivy CPU. That's just not true. If it is, then Asus is lying to everyone...

I just don't get it, though. Why, when the board clearly allows you to do it? That literally makes no sense.

If you couldn't overclock the RAM, this makes all the sense in the world, but you can. So, someone's wrong here and I just don't know who it is. If it's Asus, then they need to say that you can't overclock the RAM. Period. End of discussion.

And don't point me to the quote about 1600 RAM being supported by Ivy CPU's. It never says that an Ivy CPU is required. If that's what they mean, then they should just say that.

Can you explain how you can use >1600 Ram on that board? I still say by your logic, >1600 RAM should never work with that board because no CPU on 1155 supports anything faster. Asus certainly says you can.

Intel® 3rd generation processors = Ivy Bridge ; Memory Types DDR3-1333/1600
Intel® 2nd generation processors = Sandy Bridge ; Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333

The differences in the CPU's for starters are the IMC, Sandy Bridge (excluding SB-E LGA 2011) default is up to DDR3-1333, and the Ivy Bridge default is up to DDR3-1600. Now as far as why Intel on the H77 locks-out >DDR3-1333 with Sandy Bridge -- ask Intel.

--

Intel® Pentium® Processor G630 ; 32nm ; Memory Types DDR3-1066

As far as any 'why's' again ask Intel.

I have an i7-3930K (same litho as a Xeon) and on the die it has 8-cores but only 6-cores are active. Many of Intel's CPU's are essentially the same exact CPU and by means of the last pass in lithography and/or the back transistors on the pin side of the CPU makes one CPU from another.

Listen I'm not Intel, all I am is some guy that gets the limits, the exceptions, the general gist and helps as a hobby @ TH. Somethings are what they are and no bantering is going to change it or what I know.

I understand the "reasoning", but I don't understand why it's still not possible with Sandy CPU's on H77. It certainly is, with every other board that allows RAM overclocking, so why not H77?

It's the most illogical, most idiotic, most asinine, stupidest, etc. thing I've seen recently. It's absolutely possible to use 1600 RAM with Sandy CPU's (I don't care what the IMC "officially" supports), and the RAM absolutely can be overclocked on that board, BUT only with an Ivy CPU? What kind of BS is THAT?

Who EVER thought that was a good idea and WHY? There's no logical reason it can't be done with a Sandy CPU if the board allows RAM overclocking.

This really grinds my gears, in case you couldn't tell, lol. It's something that absolutely is and should be possible, but it just arbitrarily isn't, for no good reason.

Again, I felt the same way but I know it is that way. Guessing on Intel's logic: (A) Weakest SB support or (B) Buy a new CPU i.e. IB.

Hey, I've seen this kind of stuff before and the end result is a waste of energy to something that has limits -- Duh why can't you OC a (K) CPU on any LGA 1155 chipset?? Answer that one.

Read my first post, the OP has abandoned the Thread and unless the OP answers the question all of this is Blah...Blah...Blah.

Q - What exact CPU?

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I have an Ivy Bridge (i5-3570).

I changed the mhz to 1600 manually. And it now says so in BIOS.

But "make sure that the timings are correct as well", what's this? Haven't done anything about that, don't even know what it is.

If you set the DRAM Frequency then also set the CAS Timings manually. Use CPU-z to look up the correct timings; CPU-z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Use the same timings listed under the SPD tab for XMP-1600 or if in the BIOS AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP is available use that setting. When I looked at the manual earlier I didn't see it (XMP) listed as an option.

The only setting you need are e.g. 9-9-9-24-2N and DRAM Frequency.

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
OK, thanks for the tool tip.

It says under XMP-1600:

Frequency: 800MHz
CAS# Latency: 9.0
RAS# to CAS#: 9
RAS# Precharge: 9
tRAS: 24
tRC: 41
Command rate: 2T

OK, trying to change the frequency, CAS latency, ras to cas, ras precharge and tras.

Correct?

That looks good to me. My CPUz says the same thing. Remember ddr means double data rate, so 800*2=1600.

So again, the only setting you need are e.g. 9-9-9-24-2N and DRAM Frequency

Only use the following:

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600
[strike]tRC: 41[/strike] ; don't set this CAS Timing

Look at the 'Memory' tab in CPU-z and if it says 800MHz 9-9-9-24-2N 'then' it's all good.

Q - What options are listed for AI Overclock Tuner in the BIOS?
Last I looked in the manual: Auto & Manual but XMP is missing. If that's correct then you need to use Manual (clearly XMP is the ideal setting).

On the left 'Memory' tab is 800MHz (DDR Double Data Rate = 1600) and the corresponding CAS Timings:

DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N running correctly:
CPU-z-RAM-CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G.jpg

Just looking at your manual (2-12~2-13) - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8H77-M/E7313_P8H77-M.pdf

BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Auto ; Manual if the following are not accessible ; XMP is not list in what I'm seeing
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600
DRAM Timing Control / Enter
DRAM CAS Latency -> 9
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS PRE -> 9
DRAM RAS ACT -> 24
DRAM Command Mode -> 2

(F10) Save & Exit = Yes

The reason you don't want to simply set 'Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600' is because in my experience ASUS can misread the 'SPD' information @ boot an the result is a 'Press F1 ... Overclock Error' and manually setting both the Frequency and CAS Timings avoids this problem.

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
These are the values:

Frequency: 800MHz
tRC: 41

I have not changed anything, it was like this by default (but didn't check this before changing 1333 to 1600).

Do I need to change it anyway?

To avoid the 'Press F1 ... Overclock Error' I'd manually set the above values <OR> if available AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP. At some point this will happen, and when it does the PC won't boot and as soon as you go into the BIOS any changes will be lost (BIOS reverts to Defaults)...been there with my ASUS so I'm trying to help you avoid a problem.

Again, is 'AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP' an available option in the BIOS.