Your question
Closed

Combiging two 12v rails into a single one

Last response: in Components
December 21, 2011 9:19:05 AM

The PSU i am using is :

Cooler Master Extreme 600w PSU

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5906

The problem i am facing is i am using an HIS HD 6850 which requires according to some forums 25amp on a single 12v Rails. However my currents psu have two independent 12v rails with each having 18amp max.
now whenever i try to play some game the system crashes or freezes carries on for a while then freeze again. now i tried to contact his apparently there is no problem with the card or the mobo or antyhing but rather the power supply is too weak to support the card. i was wondering if i can manually combine the 2 independent 12v rails by jacking off the wires of one and connecting each with its respective wire to increase the amperage on a single rail.

is this possible ? or anybody have any other solution in mind. cuz i dont want to spend a lot of money in a new psu now as i already got this one and the card itself is quite expensive.

thanks in advance for yoru replies.
a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2011 9:25:40 AM

I don't thin kyou can do this and I don't think its your problem either. With the 2 rails your GPU should be powered by 1 rail and everything else that takes much power should be fed from the other and 1 18A rail should be plenty for that card. If you are shore the PSU is the problem its because Coolmaster don't make good PSUs and a Ciorsair or Antec 500W one should be fine unless you have a huge amount of other stuff in there post your full spec to confirm.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2011 9:35:54 AM

I have a Quad Rail PSU with 4 rails running at 23 amps each

Its possible for me to have 1 GPU that requires 64amps as my combined rating is 64amps (any one rail can handle 64amps being pushed through at any 1 time)

This means your combined rating should be AT LEAST 25amps.

Conclusion? It will run fine.
Score
Related resources
a c 272 ) Power supply
December 21, 2011 9:57:07 AM

The power supply recommendations given by manufacturers are for the system as a whole, which means its the combined rating between all the rails. Technically your PSU has enough power, but in practice it might not be giving you stable voltages when at high loads, the eXtreme Power Plus series is known to be pretty crappy.
Score
December 21, 2011 10:39:41 AM

my specs are :

Asus P8H61- M LX mobo
Cross Air DDR 3 4GB 1333Mhz
Intel Pentium G620 2.93
HIS HD 6850
Coolermaster Extreme 600W PSU
1 Sata HDD
1 DVD Combo

so u say its causing this problem because of the PSU and only way to fix this is to get a new one ?

Thanks simon for all your help
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2011 10:45:21 AM

Yes, get a decent brand like Corsair or Antec or just check reviews 1st most good 500W ones will do.
December 21, 2011 11:13:47 AM

Best answer selected by zohaibjan.
Score
!