Solved

"Installed memory(RAM): 8.00 GB (3.12 GB usable)" , what does this mea

I recently added 4 GB of memory to my previously existing 4 GB RAM, making a total of 8 GB.
After installation i checked system properties to find this info. "Installed memory(RAM): 8.00 GB (3.12 GB usable)" .
Moreover the ' Windows Experience Index ' previously when i had a single 4 GB stick was 7.4 , now after adding another 4 GB stick it has come down to 5.9.

Does this mean the extra 4 GB RAM i added is not being used and is only slowing down my comp ?
If so how can i make all 8 GB of RAM Usable and have a higher Win Exp Index ?

BIOS SHOWS INSTALLED AND USABLE MEMORY = 8000 MB (approx.)

System configuration :
Processor : AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 , 3.2Ghz
Memory: Corsair DDR3 (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9) 4gb * 2
Graphic card: Nvidia GeForce 210 , 1gb
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M LE
Power Supply: iBall 350 W powersupply

O.S : Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

BIOS Version/Date : American Megatrends Inc. 0801, 17/01/2011
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installed memory usable
  1. did you use the same ram? dont mix and match them
  2. Are you sure that you have Windows 64 bit installed? The Windows Ultimate box comes with two disks , one 32 bit and the other 64 bit and it sounds like you installed Windows 32 bit by mistake.
    When you had just the 4 gb of ram installed did your Windows say 4gb installed and 4gb useable?
    You can try taking out the original ram sticks and just having the new ram in there to see if it says 4gb installed and 4gb usable.
  3. Yes, Windows 32-bit can only access ~4gb of RAM, there should not be any other reason that the PC can recognize it but not use it.
  4. alvine said:
    did you use the same ram? dont mix and match them


    yes, the 2 rams r identical... But bought 1 year apart... !
  5. If you look in control pannel and system properties where the WEI is does it say you have Windows 64 bit?
  6. It sounds like you have 32-bit installed. Back up all your stuff and install 64-bit.
  7. inzone said:
    Are you sure that you have Windows 64 bit installed? The Windows Ultimate box comes with two disks , one 32 bit and the other 64 bit and it sounds like you installed Windows 32 bit by mistake.
    When you had just the 4 gb of ram installed did your Windows say 4gb installed and 4gb useable?
    You can try taking out the original ram sticks and just having the new ram in there to see if it says 4gb installed and 4gb usable.


    I checked the windows and other properties in My comp> system properties.
    I also used a software called ASTRA to check properties.
    In both these places i learnt that its win 7 ultimate x64


    when i had a single 4 gb ram , the usable amt was still 3.12 gb.
  8. can you see it all in bios? try each sticks separately?
  9. Then there is something very wrong because if you have Windows 64 bit installed it will show the full 4gb and the full 8 gb and nothing less. I have the Windows Ultimate 64 bit installed and have 16gb of ram and it shows 16gb of ram.
    Where are you seeing this installed 8 gb and 3.12 useable?
  10. Is it a legitimate copy of Windows 7?
  11. inzone said:
    Then there is something very wrong because if you have Windows 64 bit installed it will show the full 4gb and the full 8 gb and nothing less. I have the Windows Ultimate 64 bit installed and have 16gb of ram and it shows 16gb of ram.
    Where are you seeing this installed 8 gb and 3.12 useable?


    im seeing it in My comp > system properties.

    Windows is genuine..

    Bios says 8000 mb(approx) ram available.

    Should i change my ram to a better one like corsair vengeance.. ?
  12. I don't think that will make a difference, Windows see's the RAM, it just cannot address it all which is typically a sign that the machine is a 32-bit machine.
  13. You need to carefully go through your bios and see if you can find a setting that will enable 64 bit support to the cpu.
  14. Best answer
    Often to fix this problem is a combination of updating the BIOS to the latest version especially on AMD, and if needed increasing a couple critical voltages. Also, make certain that the following MSCONFIG looks like yours; see (maximum memory) - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Boot_OPT.gif

    Also verify in the BIOS Memory Hole Remapping -> Enabled

    To update your BIOS only use ASUS EZ Flash 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash#t1976586
    Latest BIOS - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A78LTM_LE/#download

    Immediately after updating the BIOS to v0801 it's advised to boot in to the BIOS and (F5) Load Defaults (plus restore working tweaks such as AHCI if used) and (F10) Save and Exit = Yes

    See if all 8GB are available to the OS, and if not see below.

    BIOS voltage adjustments:
    Press (F5) ; Load Defaults ; clears any prior BIOS changes, so if e.g. you're using AHCI then change back
    Memory Over Voltage -> 1.55v ; or +0.05v
    VDDNB Over Voltage -> 1.15 ; or +0.05v
    Press (F10)
  15. jaquith said:
    Often to fix this problem is a combination of updating the BIOS to the latest version especially on AMD, and if needed increasing a couple critical voltages. Also, make certain that the following MSCONFIG looks like yours; see (maximum memory) - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Boot_OPT.gif



    OMG !! Its working fine now !!!

    I interchanged the two rams and unchecked the MAXIMUM MEMORY box in MSCONFIG>BOOT advanced options, and after restart installed ram is 8.00 GB and the "3.12 GB usable" message in the brackets is now GONE !!!
    Windows experience index for memory(RAM) = 7.5 (increased from 7.4 when i had a single 4.00 gb ram).

    Thanks EVERYONE for the time and effort you guys put in to help me solve this problem !!

    I COULDN'T HAVE FIXED IT WITHOUT YOUR HELP !!

    Special thanks to Jaquith ! that pic you uploaded made the solution very easy!!!
  16. Best answer selected by gowthamhs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Corsair RAM Memory