Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can my computer handle ATI Radeon 5450 SILENT version?

Last response: in Components
Share
December 21, 2011 9:38:47 AM

Hey,

I have an ancient Dell OptiPlex GX620 (Small Form Factor), and i'm looking to upgrade my GPU (nothing huge, just want to play games made in 2005 and such a bit better.) I have noticed that ATI Radeon 5450 would fit my needs and budget, BUT i noticed that it requires 350W PSU, and i have 275W. So, is it still possible for me to mount the graphics card, or should i just let it slide?

Thanks!
a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2011 9:50:15 AM

350w psu for a 5450 silent? I dont think it needs any more than 150w.

The max system power with one of them installed will increase by around 20w under load.

Considering your P4 2.8ghz draws about 60-70watts and the rest of the system draws about 20, the card will push that up to 130 with everything being MAX MAX MAX ULTRA MEGA PAIN BALL CLAMP stress tested.

In Conclusion, your fine.
Related resources
December 21, 2011 9:53:26 AM

deadjon said:
350w psu for a 5450 silent? I dont think it needs any more than 150w.

The max system power with one of them installed will increase by around 20w under load.

Considering your P4 2.8ghz draws about 60-70watts and the rest of the system draws about 20, the card will push that up to 130 with everything being MAX MAX MAX ULTRA MEGA PAIN BALL CLAMP stress tested.

In Conclusion, your fine.


Well he might not be fine. :\

PSU's lose total output over time, not only that but the generic PSU inside one of those machines is probably unlikely to output the rated 275W.
One way to find out really. :|
December 21, 2011 9:55:26 AM

joytech22 said:
Well he might not be fine. :\

PSU's lose total output over time, not only that but the generic PSU inside one of those machines is probably unlikely to output the rated 275W.
One way to find out really. :|


Well what should i do? I don't want to spend 40 euros for something that doesn't work. And as far as i know, i can't even upgrade my PSU :( 
a b ) Power supply
December 21, 2011 10:33:29 AM

Its up to you.

I would do it - but now come to think of it I dont want you to spend 40 euros on something that I told you to buy incase It doesnt work.

I personally cant see how the output of a 275w PSU will have dropped for it not to power such a low wattage card.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1202/11/

As you can see a fully fledged i7 920 system only draws 171w at full load with this card.
December 21, 2011 10:37:28 AM

deadjon said:
Its up to you.

I would do it - but now come to think of it I dont want you to spend 40 euros on something that I told you to buy incase It doesnt work.

I personally cant see how the output of a 275w PSU will have dropped for it not to power such a low wattage card.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1202/11/
As you can see a fully fledged i7 920 system only draws 171w at full load with this card.

Capacitor ageing, he did mention the system was fairly old and not only that but we don't even know if the PSU can actually meet it's rating of 275W (and many generic PSU's can't)


Quote:
Well what should i do? I don't want to spend 40 euros for something that doesn't work. And as far as i know, i can't even upgrade my PSU

Umm well it's your decision, we can't guarantee it'll work but if the power supply in the system is at least a decent quality unit, it should work with no problems.
As long as the rating on the PSU can be met, you should have no problems.
a c 110 ) Power supply
December 21, 2011 10:53:26 AM

I have this card in a sff lenovo computer with a 250w!
December 21, 2011 11:02:30 AM

amuffin said:
I have this card in a sff lenovo computer with a 250w!


^^ Confidence booster. :p 
If it worked for him it'll likely work for you.
!