Athlon 64 X2 6400+ motherboard compatibility

noobinneed

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I just picked up a 6400+ black edition and got the cheapest compatible (so I thought) motherboard - the ECS A770M-A. I've been having semi-frequent BSOD's since putting it together. A lot of online searching found a dozen people who report successfully using the two together, but alarmingly, a couple people have claimed that the A770M-A only supports 89W and below processors. The 6400+ is a 125W processor and is not included on the motherboard's compatibility list (nor is the motherboard on its), although ECS claims they should work together.

I suspect the BSOD's may be unrelated to the CPU (still trying to figure out source), because they've only happened while running bit torrent applications. Still, I'm afraid that I may be damaging one or more parts here. Is it vital that I get a different motherboard?

All relevant drivers are fully up-to-date.. running Windows XP SP2, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB, 2GB Corsair DDR2 low cas RAM, an 850W OCZ PSU.

Thanks!

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
I would recomend the Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 or a lower budget model. Its a great MB for a reasonable price. AM2+ with up to ddr2 1066. Supports full 16x xfire. There are cheaper models without the extras and xfire support that come in around 60$ but its hard to find them in stock. This MB is the most ridgid MB I have ever installed. Its built like a rock. Only real downfall is the ram slots are super close to eachother. I have a ram tool that I use to install and remove sticks but I have large hands.

dadeo

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Same problem, need a reliable X2 6400+, 125W mobo. No SLI or X-fire tho. On-board gfx a plus.