Your question

Installed more RAM, No video now

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Computer
Last response: in Memory
October 4, 2012 6:36:44 PM

I recently purchased 8 more gigs or ram to install into my computer (2 x 4GB sticks). When I first installed them nothing appeared on my monitor, but my computer seemed to start up correctly. I did some research and reset my CMOS by removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in. After I did that, upon startup I received three long beeps (the computer seemed to start fine other than that) but still no display on my monitor. I looked up the bios codes in my motherboard manual and it says 3 long beeps means a memory problem. So, then I tried to start up the computer with on stick at a time. That didn't work, still got three long beeps for each stick and with no sticks at all. When i bought the new RAM I made sure it had matching voltage and speed (1.5v and 1600Mhz) and from my motherboard manual I know that my motherboard is compatible with that speed. This is the first computer I've built and Im still pretty new to all the odds and ends, so im completely lost now. I dont know a lot about my old RAM and after me and my buddy both searching for it online, we couldn't bring anything up.

Here are the exact parts:

Motherboard = MSI A75MA-G55 (model number MS-7696
Old Ram (x2) = Patriot PSD34G16002 4GB PC3-12800 CL9
New Ram (x2) = CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

Any help that could be offered would be more than appreciated. Thanks!

More about : installed ram video

a b } Memory
October 4, 2012 6:48:57 PM

In the process of putting in the ram sticks you may have slightly unseated the video card. Try putting the ram i and then taking and gently pushing the video card in it's slot to make sure that it's all the way in. You should have the power supply unpluged when doing this so that when pluged back in the bios will start over in checking the components. Also with the power unpluged you can also take out the video card and put it back in making sure not to press to hard so as to not unseat the ram. Then plug the power supply back in and start up and see if that made a difference.
m
l
October 4, 2012 6:54:04 PM

inzone said:
In the process of putting in the ram sticks you may have slightly unseated the video card. Try putting the ram i and then taking and gently pushing the video card in it's slot to make sure that it's all the way in. You should have the power supply unpluged when doing this so that when pluged back in the bios will start over in checking the components. Also with the power unpluged you can also take out the video card and put it back in making sure not to press to hard so as to not unseat the ram. Then plug the power supply back in and start up and see if that made a difference.

Thanks for the advice. I just made sure it was seated correctly, took it out, put it back in, made sure ram was still seated correctly and and still get three beeps and no display.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
October 4, 2012 6:57:11 PM

So have you tried putting the old ram in the same slots it was in and try to start it?
m
l
October 4, 2012 6:59:43 PM

inzone said:
So have you tried putting the old ram in the same slots it was in and try to start it?

I have and got the same problem, which was pretty confusing.
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:11:23 PM

can you get the computer to boot AT ALL now?
m
l
a b } Memory
October 4, 2012 7:11:51 PM

This is very confusing if you now can't run the Pc with the same setup that you had.
Try unpluging the power supply and taking out the cmos battery and pressing the power button for 10 seconds, then reconnect everything with the old ram and see if it starts.
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:24:55 PM

inzone said:
This is very confusing if you now can't run the Pc with the same setup that you had.
Try unpluging the power supply and taking out the cmos battery and pressing the power button for 10 seconds, then reconnect everything with the old ram and see if it starts.

It did not start up again =/
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:27:01 PM

dingo07 said:
can you get the computer to boot AT ALL now?

Not all the way (if thats what you mean). The computer gets power (fans start) but it does the 3 beep thing and displays nothing.
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:32:36 PM

you don't happen to be wearing socks and working on carpet, are you?
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:35:10 PM

dingo07 said:
you don't happen to be wearing socks and working on carpet, are you?

Personally no, but i had a friend look at it who was wearing socks. He was still pretty careful but maybe not enough? That would be a big bummer if we zapped something =( .
m
l
a b } Memory
October 4, 2012 9:14:00 PM

You would have to hear some crackleing sounds or flash from the static electricity to have zapped something.
m
l
!