Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best method for applying Thermal Paste

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2011 4:41:39 AM

Well i have all my parts ready to build, but I'm still not sure the best method for applying Thermal Paste.

Here is my CPU:

Intel i5 2500k Quad-Qore Processor

Here is my CPU Heatsink:

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

My next question is a bit more opinion orientated. I don't think i will be over clocking my CPU. I'm not sure what i am doing, so i just stay away from it.

But my question is, should i use the stock intel CPU cooler because i am not overclocking? Or should i use the one i mentioned above. I already spent the money on both, so iim not sure which route to take.
September 20, 2011 4:46:22 AM

Hyper 212+ is a great cpu cooler. It'll keep the processor temp. low even on high loads.

Apply the thermal paste on the back of the processor at the center. not too much. then place the HSF on top of it. make sure the bottom of the HSF and the top of the processor stays connected.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 20, 2011 6:09:10 AM

A Google search will turn up numerous tutorials on how to apply TIM. The bottom line is you want the absolute minimum TIM possible to just fill the minute imperfections in the heatsink and CPU surface. More TIM is not good because TIM is less thermally conductive than a perfect metal-to-metal contact of the heatsink and CPU heatspreader. TIM in a quantity the size of an uncooked grain of rice is PLENTY.
Related resources
September 20, 2011 9:38:55 PM

beenthere said:
A Google search will turn up numerous tutorials on how to apply TIM. The bottom line is you want the absolute minimum TIM possible to just fill the minute imperfections in the heatsink and CPU surface. More TIM is not good because TIM is less thermally conductive than a perfect metal-to-metal contact of the heatsink and CPU heatspreader. TIM in a quantity the size of an uncooked grain of rice is PLENTY.

Ok, i understand. I do have a couple more questions, and i hope you don't think it prude of me. The first one is, do i also put TIM on on the HSF as well?

Also, if i do, then do i apply it on the metal slabs between the cooper tubing?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Meta
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2011 12:33:32 PM

NO certainly not.

Thermal Paste should ONLY be placed between the top side of the CPU (shiny metal surface) and the base of the HeatSink.

Im also fairly sure 212+ comes with pre-applied thermal paste so make sure to clean all of this off before applying your own. DONT USE TOO MUCH!
September 24, 2011 2:51:46 AM

The thermal paste that comes on it is not sufficient?
September 24, 2011 3:27:33 AM

Best answer selected by MetaDragon.
!