Sign in with
Your question

MSI or ASRock for budget motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2012 8:48:17 PM

I am looking at some budget motherboards, I can't decide whether to get a motherboard from ASRock or MSI. Which is better, are MSI boards better than ASRock (vice versa)?

MSI B75MA-E33 LGA 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The main difference is that the MSI has 8 channel audio and the ASRock as 6, the main thing is the brand, which brand is better?
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 9:04:47 PM

The MSI board has better features but thier boards tend to be thin and can bend very easy so that shows less quality of construction so that's where they tend to skimp.
The Asrock has less features but is better built and not flimsy and it has 5.1 channel sound so if that's important then it should be considered in you decision making process.
You should go over the features and add up what you will or may use vs what you won't use and see who's ahead.
Both brands have been around for a while and MSI longer than Asrock.
m
l
October 4, 2012 9:18:48 PM

I have an MSI P67A-G45 and its been doing pretty well, is thin really a con? They both look the same to me in the picture.

Another thing I dont understand is that you said the ASRock has 5.1 surround sound, on the MOBO specs it says 6 channels, on the MSi it says 8 channels. Does the MSI has 5.1 surround sound also?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 9:19:29 PM

my asrock board can overclock like a champ, I pushed it as high as 5.1ghz before I started to worry about volts.
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 9:22:36 PM

Altiris said:
I have an MSI P67A-G45 and its been doing pretty well, is thin really a con? They both look the same to me in the picture.

Another thing I dont understand is that you said the ASRock has 5.1 surround sound, on the MOBO specs it says 6 channels, on the MSi it says 8 channels. Does the MSI has 5.1 surround sound also?

5.1 = 6 channels, 7.1 = 8 channels.
m
l
October 4, 2012 9:30:29 PM

Ahh okay, thanks anyone. So basically the ASRock and MSI MOBOs are both good to go for, im just wondering which one I should get. Could anyone suggest which board I should go for (I do not overclock).

The MSI has more PCI slots and has 8 channel sound, would 6 and 8 channel sound have impact when using Astros or turtble beaches? I feel the MSI would have more use for me, someone mentioned the MSI board is thin, however they look the same to me in my opinion.
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 4, 2012 10:58:26 PM

The 5.1 and 7.1 sound is going to depend on your speakers, the 5.1 means 4 speakers and a subwoofer with the speakers placed ywo in front and two in the rear. The 7.1 sound means 6 speakers and a sub with two speakers in the front two on the sides and two in the rear. If you just have two speakers and a sub box then you won't make use of all that and you'll most likely just be changing the sound formats. So the sound channels won't make a difference in youir decision and you should look at pci-e slots , sata ports and usb ports to see which is better.
Go with the MSI board.
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 11:54:16 AM

On the other hand, the audio codec in the MSI board does produce higher quality sound in general, even if you're only using a pair of speakers or a headphone. Whether you're enough of an audiophile to notice the difference though...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 12:24:28 PM

inzone said:
The 5.1 and 7.1 sound is going to depend on your speakers, the 5.1 means 4 speakers and a subwoofer with the speakers placed ywo in front and two in the rear. The 7.1 sound means 6 speakers and a sub with two speakers in the front two on the sides and two in the rear. If you just have two speakers and a sub box then you won't make use of all that and you'll most likely just be changing the sound formats. So the sound channels won't make a difference in youir decision and you should look at pci-e slots , sata ports and usb ports to see which is better.
Go with the MSI board.

2.1 and 5.1 and 7.1 mean 2 speakers and sub, 5 speakers and a sub, and 7 speakers and a sub. Other than that your description is good, you just forgot the front center speaker.
m
l
!