Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recommend heatsink please

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 21, 2011 2:11:46 PM

I'm going to build my HTPC using i3-2100T, but my mod case net height is 166mm, so I can't use thermalright HR-02. I want my system to be totally fanless, so no case fan will be used either. And my HTPC will have very slight usage. It will only play lossless music (major task) and play some videos (not BD or HD, only netflix or hulu). No other tasks will be done on this machine. Please recommend some other heatsinks with lower profile please. I think Prolimatech PRO-MGH-C Megahalems doesn't fit either.

The other thing I'm still struggling now is if I should use AMD APU like ASUS E35M1-M PRO instead of i3 system since my usage is slight. Is APU sufficient for my usage? how about after 3 years, since i don't want to upgrade my HTPC that often just for playing music.

Thank you.

More about : recommend heatsink

December 21, 2011 3:30:57 PM

davcon said:
Alot of well known quality coolers will cool a 2100 passively.
The 212+ is one i can think of off hand = don't use the fan..
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...


212+ is about the same height as Prolimatech Megahalems, i don't think this height will fit mycase. I prefer something lower than 150mm.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 120 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 3:53:52 PM

fubird said:
212+ is about the same height as Prolimatech Megahalems, i don't think this height will fit mycase. I prefer something lower than 150mm.

Well i think just about anything will passively cool a 35W cpu.
I still have no idea what your case dimensions are.
I wouldn't spend more then $30 that's for sure.
What about a CM TX3 sans fan.
m
0
l
a c 102 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 4:20:19 PM

I think you will need a fan somewhere as you need some airflow over the heat sink regardless.
m
0
l
a c 120 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 4:44:31 PM

simon12 said:
I think you will need a fan somewhere as you need some airflow over the heat sink regardless.

I agree simon 100% i can think of a few 120mm fans that provide good airflow and are under 20db.
If you can hear that, you have superhuman hearing!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2011 4:49:27 PM

Ur gonna need a fan. It may not get hot enough to burn up, but the cpu will more than likely "throttle" itself down to prevent getting too hot.

Can you mount a fan to the side of the heatsink? Blowing parallel to the heatsink fins?
m
0
l
December 21, 2011 4:54:37 PM

use the H50
m
0
l
December 21, 2011 7:07:11 PM

I mod a case with 7 inch touch screen on it. The net inside height is 166mm. I think if you use a 158mm heatsink, the space for MB is only 8mm, this is not possible. But my case do cool passively. Since it has holes at the bottom and top. So the cold air can flow in from the bottom and go out from the top. Maybe if i3 is not possible, I have to use AMD APU.
m
0
l
a c 120 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 7:13:05 PM

fubird said:
I mod a case with 7 inch touch screen on it. The net inside height is 166mm. I think if you use a 158mm heatsink, the space for MB is only 8mm, this is not possible. But my case do cool passively. Since it has holes at the bottom and top. So the cold air can flow in from the bottom and go out from the top. Maybe if i3 is not possible, I have to use AMD APU.

CM TX 3 is 130mm tall.
Otherwise you'll have to select more expensive top-down coolers..
Scythe Samurai Zz
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=42811&vpn=SCSMZ-2000&m...
Thermalright AXP-140 RT 6
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58637&vpn=AXP%2D140%20...
I suggest you check out Scythe's website and others for something that fits your criteria.
I can't see a reason why larger top down coolers couldn't passively cool a 35W cpu.




m
0
l
December 21, 2011 8:25:09 PM

davcon said:
CM TX 3 is 130mm tall.
Otherwise you'll have to select more expensive top-down coolers..
Scythe Samurai Zz
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=42811&vpn=SCSMZ-2000&m...
Thermalright AXP-140 RT 6
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58637&vpn=AXP%2D140%20...
I suggest you check out Scythe's website and others for something that fits your criteria.
I can't see a reason why larger top down coolers couldn't passively cool a 35W cpu.



I agree, and I prefer large top down coolers. I can use top down cooler without the fan, the question is which one will perform better if using w/o fan. Please recommend some more expensive top-down coolers ;) 
m
0
l
a c 120 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 8:30:12 PM

fubird said:
I agree, and I prefer large top down coolers. I can use top down cooler without the fan, the question is which one will perform better if using w/o fan. Please recommend some more expensive top-down coolers ;) 

The Thermalright i linked is kick-ass and probably the best available.
This cooler is a newer version of the excellent AXP-140 = this cooler has a huge surface area and 6 pipes.
http://bigbruin.com/content/axp140rt_1
Do you think it's large enough to cool a 35W cpu lol!
http://bigbruin.com/displayimage.php?imagepath=images/a...
m
0
l
December 21, 2011 8:32:33 PM

thanks, I posted this thread in the overclocking section, just realized I posted in wrong place.
m
0
l
December 23, 2011 10:59:53 PM

davcon said:
The Thermalright i linked is kick-ass and probably the best available.
This cooler is a newer version of the excellent AXP-140 = this cooler has a huge surface area and 6 pipes.
http://bigbruin.com/content/axp140rt_1
Do you think it's large enough to cool a 35W cpu lol!
http://bigbruin.com/displayimage.php?imagepath=images/a...



how do you think Thermalright HR-01 4U and AXP-140 RT, which one is better for 2100T? Since one is 4 pipes and the other is 6 pipes. HR-01 4U was designed for Xeon and I have to use 1155 mounting bracket to install, maybe youcan recommend some good ones. And it is 145mm tall, so I think it will fit my case.
m
0
l
!