Motherboard Overclocking and RAM Stick Questions

G

I am doing research to build a gaming rig in either the early to middle part of next year for around $2,000 and had a couple a couple of questions about the motherboard's involvement in overclocking and the RAM sticks. I will use the ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe Intel 7 Series Motherboard as an example. My motherboard questions are as follows:

1. The specs state that the motherboard supports DDR3 2400MHz (OC). Does that mean that it will overclock RAM sticks that already have 2400MHz memory speed or that it will overclock RAM sticks with 1600MHz or 1866MHz memory speed to 2400MHz?

2. Although I am considering an overclockable top-end Intel i5 CPU, I will use the Intel i7-3770K as an example. Since the 3770k supports a memory speed of either 1333MHz or 1600MHz, will that cause a bottleneck for the RAM sticks and only limit their memory speeds to 1600MHz or will the RAM speed overload or overheat the CPU?

For The RAM sticks:

1. I am aware that RAM sticks that have slower memory speeds often have less latency. Does that mean I would be better off with 1600Mhz speed sticks than 1866MHz?

2. Since the 3770K is dual channel, would it be better to go with single or dual channel RAM sticks to reduce latency?

3. Do un-buffered sticks have less latency?

4. I plan to order my components from Tiger Direct, but in their Memory section the choices they have listed are Memory Speed and Memory Speed MHz. Do they both mean the same thing where the former is the technical term and the latter is the plain English term?

by next year, haswell is going to come out and it would be completely different components

another thing is that memory above 1600mhz will get you nearly no performance increase.i wouldnt waste my time with high speed memory. also, memory running higher than 1.5v is going to void your intel warranty.

TRENDING THREADS