Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Thermal Glue

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2011 3:20:52 PM

Hello

I just bought all the parts for my new build and they are ready to install, but being a busy guy I forgot to buy the glue. Does Wal-mart or Staples carry the glue. Don't really have one in town. What else can I use that will work great for that. Please let me know.

Dale

More about : thermal glue

a c 117 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 3:25:27 PM

What cpu?
Retail AMD and Intel boxes include the cooler with pre-applied thermal paste.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 3:45:38 PM

I think you mean thermal paste not glue. If you use thermal glue on your CPU and heatsink it's going to pretty much be permanently attached, good luck trying to get it off. Make sure you get thermal paste.
Related resources
a c 180 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 4:04:23 PM

Stock coolers come with the TIM (Thermal Interface Material)....actually a Thermal pad, not glue or paste.......many aftermarket coolers come with paste.....if you don't have, have it overnighted to you
December 21, 2011 4:29:23 PM

The cooler does come with a thermal pad, I know many people don't like the pad I did find out that radio shack sales Arctic Silver 5 compound is that the paste and also sale the adhesive is that the glue. Is that a good brand to use? Let me know thanks

Dale
a c 140 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 5:45:04 PM

Yes the compound is the TIM. The adhesive is the glue and is what you want to avoid.
December 21, 2011 9:47:44 PM

Would just using the TIM be good enough? or should I use the paste? and if I use the paste do I have to remove the TIM and if so what is the best way to go about doing that? Thanks

Dale
December 21, 2011 10:02:17 PM

Go the radio shack and buy the artic 5, its a good thermal paste and what you need.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 10:08:44 PM

You need: 90% rubbing alcohol, non lint cloth (coffee filters work great) and new thermal paste.

1) remove the heatsink and use the coffee filter to rub off as much of the old thermal paste from the CPU and heatsink as possible. After a few swipes must of the thick gunky stuff should be off but it's not fully clean.

2) take a new clean coffee filter and wet it with the rubbing alcohol and scrub wipe the heatsink and CPU. Continue doing that and switching to clean coffee filters until the coffee filters come out clean. There should be no more gray on the coffee filters.

3) make sure the heat sink and CPU is dry then apply the new thermal paste. Put a small blob of paste about the size of a pea on the center of the CPU

4) re attach the heatsink and that's it. The pressure of the heatsink will spread the thermal paste. You don't want to spread it with your finger or credit card. That will cause air bubbles which can make for heat problems

December 21, 2011 10:12:14 PM

So This works with new heat sinks right or does it take longer with the new ones. Thanks I will try that.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 10:28:14 PM

Yes but if your going to use the stock heatsink you'll have to wipe off the thermal pad paste that comes with the heatsink then apply the new thermal paste like Artic Silver 5.
a c 79 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 11:03:27 PM

artic silver 5 is crap, i dont use it anymore. Get Noctua nt-h1, it works better and works instantly, no curing time.
December 21, 2011 11:37:00 PM

so is it better to use the TIM because I don't have the paste yet,
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2011 11:39:26 PM

Those thermal pads have a nasty habit of being stuck to your CPU.

Personally I use TX-2.

Best solution

a c 88 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 11:46:38 PM

t.i.m. is paste m8... thermal interface material/t.i.m. is thermal paste.
thermal ceramic paste is often referred to as ceramic glue because it sticks the parts together permanently.
t.i.m. is different. it doesnt harden to a solid state that binds cpu to the cooler, so it can easily be removed and replaced. ceramic paste cannot...

open your coolers box and you will find either a syringe, a pad, or a sachet of t.i.m.
if its the stock cooler then the paste/pad will already be aplied to the cooler surface ready, just to drop into your case. 3rd party coolers tend to supply the paste separate but in the box with the cooler...

in general thermal pads are too thick for use on a cpu and are much better for gfx cards where there is a variance in the hight of components. the pad will even this out so the cooling plate will attach evenly...

tim liquid is by far the best choice for the enthusiast and his/her cpu. its best because its easily cleaned and replaced when it needs to be or when new parts are added.
ceramic is best for office pc's where good reliable heat dispersal over a long life with little servicing is essential.
December 21, 2011 11:51:24 PM

On the sink there is a pad so would it be better to use that for now, or use the paste I already have, I am using the heat sink that came with the processor
a c 140 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 12:37:10 AM

What paste do you have now, Artic Silver 5? You can use the pad but the Artic Silver 5 will give better cooling performance once it cures.
December 22, 2011 1:05:54 AM

Yes I have arctic silver 5, how long does it take to cure? With the pad I wont be over to overclock it if I have the arctic silver 5 so would be better to have the arctic silver 5 if I want to over clock? I only need to clean the heat sink pad and not the CPU especially when it is new. The heat sink came with the processor which is a stock cooler the AMD 3650 processor
a c 140 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 1:24:27 AM

According to Artic Silver it takes about 200 hours to fully cure. After that you'll see maybe a 5-7 degree difference but it that will depend. For overclocking the paste doesn't play that much of a role in how far you can push the overclock it depends on the fan/heatsink you use. If you cheap thermal paste the white watery stuff that looks more like Elmer’s glue then thermal paste it's not helping. If you use good quality thermal paste it will help lower your temps a little but it's only a part of the bigger picture to get good temps, the other part being the fan/heatsink. So forget the thermal paste for a minute. You have a good thermal paste now you need a good cooler if you want to overclock. You're not going to be able to overclock with the stock fan/heatsink. It's to small and it can't dissipate the heat like and aftermarket cooler or water cooling can. If you try to overclock then stress test the CPU with the stock fan/heatsink your temps are going to sky rocket and you'll never be completely stable. What case do you have? What is it's width. If you want a good aftermarket heatsink for a good price look at the Cooler Master Hyper 212. It's great at keeping CPU's cool but it's down side is it's very tall and won't fit in all cases.
December 22, 2011 1:42:49 AM

I think I am going to stay with the stock cooler pad, don't have the money for several weeks and actually this computer for my Mom and she just uses it for the internet and face book games, so when I get the Cool Master Hyper 212 what would be the best paste for it for overclocking and games etc.

This is the case I have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 22, 2011 2:10:08 AM

I mean if it is just a stock heat sink and going to switch to a better heat sink like the one you listed above it would be better to keep the thermal pad instead of putting the paste on it
a c 140 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:19:33 AM

jale1966 said:
I mean if it is just a stock heat sink and going to switch to a better heat sink like the one you listed above it would be better to keep the thermal pad instead of putting the paste on it

For now if your just going to switch then yes it's easier to just use the stock thermal pad then use the Artic Silver later.
December 22, 2011 2:24:04 AM

My moms old computer was a Intel Socket 775 and it is Silence Cooler Master, but not sure what type does have a whole lot of numbers on the cord, other than that not sure which type it is. It being on a Intel processor probably won't work on a AMD processor right?
a c 117 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:32:21 AM

LOL! dudes you're killing me haha!
What retail box? doesn't matter if it's Intel or AMD the box includes cpu,cooler,with pre-applied paste.
Don't care what you wanna call it,it works just fine.
a c 88 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 11:52:01 AM

yep!... +1 to davcon
a c 79 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 7:02:21 PM

another +1 to davcon.
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2011 8:45:32 PM

Just to emphasise what was said earlier: do NOT use thermal glue.

Thermal glue is used, for example, to attach heatsinks to RAM, where there's no clips or bolts to hold the heatsink to the chip; the only thing holding the heatsink to the chip is the glue.

If you used thermal glue to attach a CPU cooler then you would never be able to get the CPU out of the socket again, because the heatsink blocks access.

If you are using the stock heatsink you might as well use the thermal material attached to it - you won't be overclocking on the stock heatsink anyway. Sounds like the machine doesn't need overclocking anyway.
December 29, 2011 3:32:51 AM

I went with Cermanque 2 paste spelled wrong I know so far it is working good, I know it has 25 hours of curing time, so I am happy. Thanks all for the responses.
December 29, 2011 3:34:09 AM

Best answer selected by jale1966.
!