Sign in with
Your question

3d Plasma Tv as pc display?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2011 6:44:27 PM

I am building a new pc within the next month, but do not plan on buying a new monitor just yet. I currently have a 1440x900 19" widescreen lcd that is pretty old. I also have a 50" Samsung plasma 1080p tv that I plan on hooking my pc up to for gaming.

Is that a bad Idea? in other words, will it be bad for my tv/ perform poorly as a pc display?
Also, If I wanted to view 3D content, and I get, lets say a geforce 560 ti, will I be able to with my samsung glasses, or do I need a 3D vision kit or whatever they are called? 3D is not as important, but if I can, it would be an added bonus. Also, if it is possible, do I need a Nvidia card for 3D games, or Does ATI support it too? Im debating a 560ti or 6950

thanks

More about : plasma display

July 20, 2011 7:32:07 PM

You can... but keep in mind gaming on a plasma I believe can burn the image of a HUD or that sorta thing into it after a few hours of gaming (or anything else that stays on the screen without changing, like the start menu). Since you have a samsung it will fade out once powered off or watching some TV over time but I avoid gaming on my plasma usually cuz the burn in image bugs me when i go to do something else on it. But like I said, good name brand TV's will fade the image out after a while so it is not there forever unless you leave your TV on with a HUD up on the screen for a long time.
m
l
July 20, 2011 8:08:25 PM

BE4TNUT said:
You can... but keep in mind gaming on a plasma I believe can burn the image of a HUD or that sorta thing into it after a few hours of gaming (or anything else that stays on the screen without changing, like the start menu). Since you have a samsung it will fade out once powered off or watching some TV over time but I avoid gaming on my plasma usually cuz the burn in image bugs me when i go to do something else on it. But like I said, good name brand TV's will fade the image out after a while so it is not there forever unless you leave your TV on with a HUD up on the screen for a long time.

thanks, I already use my tv for PS3 gaming all the time, I have noticed temporary burn in as you described, but never permanent. I just wasnt sure if for some reason it was different with pc gaming.

does anyone know about 3D? do i need nVidia or will ATI support it as well?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2011 11:47:43 PM

What model is your plasma TV?

And permanent burn in will happen over time if you leave a static image on there. Because each pixel is like a little florescent bulb that dims over time the ones producing bright colors will dim faster than the ones producing dark colors. Newer plasmas use software to shift the image slightly every so often so it doesn't burn in a well defined line, but eventually you will notice it.

Both Nvidia and ATI support 3D now if you have a 3D TV with it's own proprietary glasses. I do not think that any plasma TVs are on Nvidia's list to work with the 3D vision glasses though.
m
l
July 21, 2011 3:08:57 AM

benski said:
What model is your plasma TV?

And permanent burn in will happen over time if you leave a static image on there. Because each pixel is like a little florescent bulb that dims over time the ones producing bright colors will dim faster than the ones producing dark colors. Newer plasmas use software to shift the image slightly every so often so it doesn't burn in a well defined line, but eventually you will notice it.

Both Nvidia and ATI support 3D now if you have a 3D TV with it's own proprietary glasses. I do not think that any plasma TVs are on Nvidia's list to work with the 3D vision glasses though.

I believe it is the PN50C680, I looked on nvidia's website for supported tv's for nvidia 3DTV Play software just now and it is not listed, which is weird... Its like the only samsung to not be listed
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 4:50:30 AM

Plasma is not good for gaming. there are alot of technical tricks they have tried to develop such as small shifting to keep the picture moving but to a minute amount so it wouldnt be noticed to prevent burn in - but LCD is the best way to go for gaming. plasma will burn in eventually and you will be pissed at not buying yourself a 120.00 monitor off newegg instead of ruining your 3000.00 or whatever you paid for it TV.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 7:08:22 AM

harvard said:

Also, If I wanted to view 3D content, and I get, lets say a geforce 560 ti, will I be able to with my samsung glasses, or do I need a 3D vision kit or whatever they are called? 3D is not as important, but if I can, it would be an added bonus. Also, if it is possible, do I need a Nvidia card for 3D games, or Does ATI support it too? Im debating a 560ti or 6950
thanks

nVidia 3D solution is proprietary. ATI is not. So if you want a video card that will work right out of the box with your 3D TV, go for the 6950. I have this set up with my Samsung 55c7000 (my video card is the Sapphire 6950 2GB flex). Some games have 3D support like Avatar (James Cameron). It works. Other games also support 3D like Crysis2, COD Black Ops & AC brotherhood but I have not tried it yet.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 7:29:07 AM

correct, ATI is more open than nVidia, and will work better for such an 'exotic' setup. But ya, I have seen pc on plasma, and it screws them up quick. game consoles use nice dark colors to minimize burn in, Windows is much more static, and generally a lot of black text on white, which is perfect for burning things in quickly.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 9:20:48 AM

Do yourself a favor and buy a monitor for your future endeavor in getting a gaming rig.
m
l
July 21, 2011 1:03:11 PM

now that I think about it, I totally forgot I have a 32" 1080p vizio tv that I dont use (it was my tv before the plasma). I should probably just use that until i decide to buy a monitor. Better choice than my 19" 1440 X 900 monitor, and not a plasma. I actually am away for a summer internship and my roomate said he was playing stupid WOW on my plasma, so I hope I dont get home in a few weeks and find burn in

and btw... I only spent $1399 on my tv 10/31/2010 and it came with 2 sets of glasses and a free 3d blu ray.. not bad imo (not the $3000 that someone suggested). It was a sweet deal at Best buy
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 1:50:41 PM

I own a Samsung 1080p Plasma TV and in the manual it states that after 8 hours of the same image on the screen it will cause a burn in.

You can actually use Sertroscopic 3D on your 3D TV.Here's a link to how to get it work.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play.html

Although that is from Nvidia so I suggest you check around if AMD has anything like it just in case you go for a AMD card.Both companies have 3D with their cards but I believe you have to use a Mini-Hdmi connection for the 3D(I think it has something to do with the Mini-Hdmi cable being able to carry higher refresh rates).

I would suggest going with the 6950 2G.Although the 2G aren't very noticed in 1920x1080p it still helps in some aspect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 6:16:24 PM

purple stank said:
Both companies have 3D with their cards but I believe you have to use a Mini-Hdmi connection for the 3D(I think it has something to do with the Mini-Hdmi cable being able to carry higher refresh rates).

I would suggest going with the 6950 2G.Although the 2G aren't very noticed in 1920x1080p it still helps in some aspect.

+1 to the 6950 2GB.
My Sapphire Flex comes with a 1.4a HDMI cable which I used with the HDMI port in the video card & HDMI of the 3D TV. As I mentioned, it works right away with AVATAR having in-game support for stereoscopic 3D.
m
l
!