Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD FX4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz or Phenom II X4 965 BE

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2011 5:33:16 PM

So, Following are the raw specs I've decided, but still want a last answer that is FX4100 has equal or better perfromance than 955 BE?
Most to least usage: Gaming, Watching HD and BluRay Content, Web Surfing... Need help pals!!!:-

AMD Phenom II X4 955
Asus M5A88-M Optimize AM3+ motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 2 X 4GB Single Module DDR3 Kit CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9
Cooler Master RS-M520 PSU
Cooler Master Hyper 212
MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II OC Edition
WD AV-GP 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s Desktop Hard drive- will buy end of Jan
Cooler Master Storm Scout Cabinet- will buy end of Jan
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2011 5:44:23 PM

955 would definatly win
Score
a c 152 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 5:56:37 PM

shwetankjuneja said:
So, Following are the raw specs I've decided, but still want a last answer that is FX4100 has equal or better perfromance

No the 955 would beat the Bulldozer in most of those things especially gaming.
Score
Related resources
December 21, 2011 6:43:44 PM

Please post some benches if somebody can find... :) 
Score
a c 89 à CPUs
December 21, 2011 11:26:49 PM

^how do you figure that, the fx4100 barely bests the A8 @ 2.9ghzz, which is a low end quad core. In games that dont use 4 cores the fx chip will really struggle, they have very low performance when not using all cores, so games like skyrim and starcraft will run worse than a phenom II. Get the phenom II, its the better cpu.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-812...
this bench compares the 4100 directly to the phenom 955. the 4100 is near the bottom of every benchmark and the 955 is in the middle.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2011 11:58:43 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
^how do you figure that, the fx4100 barely bests the A8 @ 2.9ghzz, which is a low end quad core.

With a 560 Ti, gaming performance is GPU limited anyway, so the CPU won't matter much. The A8 has lots of L2 Cache which really helps its gaming performance.

Well, part of Bulldozer's issue is W7's scheduling issues which will be helped with W8. If you look at the applications benches, the 955 and FX-4100 trade blows.

Score
a c 152 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 12:14:58 AM

Stardude82 said:
With a 560 Ti, gaming performance is GPU limited anyway, so the CPU won't matter much. The A8 has lots of L2 Cache which really helps its gaming performance.

Well, part of Bulldozer's issue is W7's scheduling issues which will be helped with W8. If you look at the applications benches, the 955 and FX-4100 trade blows.

More bull coming from AMD. Windows 7 is only part of the problem. When Windows launched its magical patch that was suppose to make everything better it only gave a slight increase in performance. A windows 7 patch and Windows 8 isn't going to make the bulldozer magically a great CPU.
Score
December 22, 2011 12:26:43 AM

the thing is the fx series was supposed to be double the phII. not blow for blow. Ive seen the light and in 1 year im upgrading from my 955be to a 6 core intel.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 1:15:21 AM

dontcrosthestreams said:
the thing is the fx series was supposed to be double the phII. not blow for blow. Ive seen the light and in 1 year im upgrading from my 955be to a 6 core intel.

i dont even think the 8150 can double my phII840

on cinebench, i score a 3... it scored a 5ish
Score
December 22, 2011 1:44:18 AM

rds1220 said:
More bull coming from AMD. Windows 7 is only part of the problem. When Windows launched its magical patch that was suppose to make everything better it only gave a slight increase in performance. A windows 7 patch and Windows 8 isn't going to make the bulldozer magically a great CPU.

except for the fact it was MS that released that patch, and even then it got pulled because it was released mistakenly. The patch comes in 2 parts and MS will release it when its ready. Not trying to argue performance will be better, but at least get your facts straight.

Edit: seen your name and ur obviously a Intel fanboi, so no amount of fact will set you straight. I love coming to Tom's forums and laughing at all the nublets that think and act like they are gods gift to PC's and Forums
Score
a c 152 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 1:51:58 AM

AlienIsGOD said:

Edit: seen your name and ur obviously a Intel fanboi, so no amount of fact will set you straight. I love coming to Tom's forums and laughing at all the nublets that think and act like they are gods gift to PC's and Forums

Huh what are your talking about? What does my name have anything to do with it. Your obvisously an AMD idiot. Keep living in your dream world buddy.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 3:23:34 AM

rds1220 said:
Huh what are your talking about? What does my name have anything to do with it. Your obvisously an AMD idiot. Keep living in your dream world buddy.

honestly the fact that your coming here and calling people names makes you no better than a "fan boy"

but we should all really get back on topic...
Score
a c 152 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 3:29:04 AM

nna2 said:
honestly the fact that your coming here and calling people names makes you no better than a "fan boy"

but we should all really get back on topic...

Whatever buddy. I'm so tired of arguing with brain dead AMD fan boys who think everything is flowery and great and the Bulldozer isn't that bad. Get over it the Bulldozer is a flop and with the way things are going they should have called it the Titanic.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 3:55:53 AM

rds1220 said:
Whatever buddy. I'm so tired of arguing with brain dead AMD fan boys who think everything is flowery and great and the Bulldozer isn't that bad. Get over it the Bulldozer is a flop and with the way things are going they should have called it the Titanic.

hehe, no i was agreeing with you, i meant for his quote to show up but ah well
Score
a c 152 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 4:03:24 AM

nna2 said:
hehe, no i was agreeing with you, i meant for his quote to show up but ah well

Ok...anyway I'm done with thread I don't care anymore.
Score
December 22, 2011 9:17:42 AM

rds1220 said:

Sorry, UNDERNEATH your name*** And I own an Intel CPU so it has nothing to do with me being an "AMD Idiot".

Back on topic, as I stated before the "patch" that was released wasn't supposed to be put out yet and comes in 2 parts. So you can come back and flex ur intellectual muscle AFTER that. Like I said before, get your facts straight before you post and maybe have something to back what you say up rather then spouting off with no reliable info other than your opinion. At least one of the other posters was kind enough to link to a review.
Score
a c 152 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 3:37:14 PM

AlienIsGOD said:
Sorry, UNDERNEATH your name*** And I own an Intel CPU so it has nothing to do with me being an "AMD Idiot".

Back on topic, as I stated before the "patch" that was released wasn't supposed to be put out yet and comes in 2 parts. So you can come back and flex ur intellectual muscle AFTER that. Like I said before, get your facts straight before you post and maybe have something to back what you say up rather then spouting off with no reliable info other than your opinion. At least one of the other posters was kind enough to link to a review.

Do a search and look up the benchmarks. Its poor performance is right there in in black and white.
Score
December 22, 2011 4:14:02 PM

I am in the same kind of situation as the OP looking at a new CPU, but for the time being I'm just going to sit on my old machine and wait and I'd advise the OP to do the same.

I'm on a budget, and I suspect that most people looking into an AMD rig similarly are. I'm waiting for a few more months to see if Bulldozer either drops in price or is better supported by software and then decide on how much value there is there. If they stay at the same price and nothing gets optimised to use the extra cores, then just forget about Bulldozer until the next revision.

But either of those things could start happening. Certainly if the price of the 4100 drops a little more then I'll be all over it, because I'm not looking to win the benchmark war, I just want value. Coming from my Core2Quad Q8200, anything is going to be a massive improvement, and if there is a drop to sub 960 prices (~£80) I'll take a punt that windows 8 will make bulldozer better.

Having said that, at this moment in time, the old phenoms offer better value, and if you are buying NOW, then get a Phenom. They are great chips and within the same price band they are way better choices than i3s. They dominate the lower price range and rightly so.

Even if bulldozer stays disappointing and at the same price, waiting will bring prices on everything else down (nature of the beast... new GPU lines coming out etc) and might get you enough lee-way to get a 2500K or stick with a Phenom and get a better gpu. Basically waiting never hurts in this buisness, and there are sweet spots for value.

Score
December 22, 2011 6:34:38 PM

Well folks, to tell you the truth I am kind of frustrated with my old 90nm Dual core, understand my feelings, i have a good GPU but that Pentium thing bottlenecks my lil GTX baby and it may sound funny but the truth is i am not been able to play my favorite title GTA IV so far(hey please don't laugh...lolzzzZZZ) Yes, thats true, earlier i was waiting for the buldozzer last year, then they were delayed then again there were rumours of their release by the end of September, again i waited and when they came they were not welcomed as many of my friends like you observed and told me that they are not good, so i looked at the i5 build but my budget's killing me, so again i came for help from you guys so that i can game at high settings at 1920X1080 for at least 2-3 years...as i can't wait to play the new titles like Batman Arkham City, Asassin's Creed Revalations, Rage, GTA V, NFS Run...oh my GOD there are so much pending and i can't wait now...So, my friends i trust you a lot and just request you again, what should i do once and for all without confusing my self to make a good gaming computer along with a good HD/BluRay plaback...:) 
Score
a c 89 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 6:49:10 PM

^get either an i3 2100 or phenom X4 955/960T. If you go the intel path, at least you have something that is upgradeable.
Score
a c 152 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 6:51:15 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
^get either an i3 2100 or phenom X4 955/960T. If you go the intel path, at least you have something that is upgradeable.

I agree with you crowe.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 8:29:29 PM

iam2thecrowe said:

but even with an am3+ board that gives you a few years before it will be completely gone, and intel will soon be off of the 1155 socket
Score
a c 89 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 12:51:52 AM

nna2 said:
but even with an am3+ board that gives you a few years before it will be completely gone, and intel will soon be off of the 1155 socket

yeah, but amd has no better cpu than a phenom II. if they keep releasing cpu's thats slower than their previous generation, its not really an upgrade. you will find an abundance of i5 2500k's on ebay after a couple years, they are incredibly popular and would still make a good budget upgrade in 2 years.
Score
December 23, 2011 6:47:28 AM

Here's another thing came to my mind and looks like it should be final now:-

ASUS P8H61-M LX-REV 3.0 or GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2P-B3
Intel Core i5 2320 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz
Corsair Memory 2 X 4GB DDR3 Memory CMV4GX3M1A1333C9

Score
a c 103 à CPUs
December 23, 2011 6:56:06 AM

That would be better than any AMD chip for gaming.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2011 5:57:47 PM

^ youd need to get a gfx card for gaming :D  even tho integrated chips can play the game, its usually on low details, unless your fine with that... err are you looking to game?
Score
December 23, 2011 6:32:09 PM

I already have a GTX 560Ti OC, just need to add it to a good platform (MOBO, Processor and RAM), i5 2320 seem to be a good option as i can have a i5 quad core processor, slightly lower clocked than the big bro 2500k and also as i am not looking to overclock so these cheap mobo(s) i.e ASUS P8H61-M LX-REV 3.0 or GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2P-B3 will help me be in the budget and also give me the pleasure to own a sandy bridge quad core that is more energy efficient and also i think it can outperfrom any AMD processor in its class both in single as well as multithreaded environment, and gaming obviously...Please provide your valuable inputs my friends if something is missing or not correct as i feel you are the experts...!!!
Score
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2011 8:41:19 PM

it can most definatly outclass most phII and FX chips,but yeah looks solid, sorry i missed the gfx card lol
Score
December 26, 2011 5:11:43 PM

I think the AMD thing is almost gone for this thread, thx for the research on AMD, please do help me more on the Intel Config i just mentioned... :) 
Score
December 26, 2011 5:26:52 PM

Thank You...I probably be going to purchase all this on the coming Saturday and want to finalize this ASAP...hope you all understand...:) 
Score
December 26, 2011 6:08:24 PM

I am saving some bucks to buy a 1TB or 2GB SATA HDD, as if now i only have 1 IDE 80GB that i'll be discarding after this build and the other one is a 250GB SATA...lol SSD in my country is too much expensive so as the SATA HDDs...lol
Score
December 26, 2011 6:52:07 PM

CM RS-520 PSU
2TB WD 6Gb/s
GTX 560 Ti OC
Samsung 42" @ 1920 X 1080 @60Hz
Stock Cooler
Logitech keyboard & Mouse
Altec Lansing ATP3
Score
December 27, 2011 1:28:16 PM

shwetankjuneja said:
Here's another thing came to my mind and looks like it should be final now:-

I'm not a big fan of overclocking myself, but I would take a i5 2500K over the i5 2320 any day for the modest price increase.

And if you decide you want to experiment with overclocking later on, it will be very easy to take gentle steps in this direction, coz of the unlocked multiplier on the i5 2500k.

You of course also get 10% more clockspeed on default settings as well.
Score
December 27, 2011 1:55:22 PM

Quote:
in that case change the motherboard as well to a Z68....
it's better to have the power and not need it then it is to need the power and not have it..
(I'm just saying... if your gonna go then go all the way and not half-step..)

Hmmmmm, will the motherboard he is looking at getting, allow for the unlocked multiplier to be used, or does one need a particular chipset to be on the motherboard?
Score
December 27, 2011 3:55:32 PM

So the original poster was choosing between two AMDs until he was basically BROW-BEATEN into Intel. Sounds about right?

I'm glad I have plenty to do.
Score
December 27, 2011 5:19:07 PM

Following was the configuration i actually wanted earlier:-
Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge
GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 /2.1 Mother Board
Corsair Vengeance 4GB Single Module DDR3 Kit CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9
WD AV-GP 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s Desktop Hard drive
Corsair Gaming Series Gold 800W Power Supply (CMPSU-800G)
Corsair CWC H50 Liquid Cooler for CPUs
Cooler Master Storm Scout Cabinet

But due to budget problems in my family, i had to change my mind so, AMD came to my mind as when it comes to lower priced quad core processors everybody thinks of AMD, but then i suddenly thought and revised the entire Intel's offerings in Sandy bridge quad core series and then i realized, as Most to least important for me is Gaming @ 1920 X 1080, HD/BluRay movies and Internet surfing, i can still go for my favourite Intel and too that i really wanted i.e the Sandy Bridge, even though i won't be able to overclock but i think this will last for another 3 years and after that i will change the whole system...so going with AMD was kind of a decision that i wasn't happy about as i have never used AMD and always wanted to own a Sandy Bridge...Choosing a 2500K will change the whole budget that i can't afford right now and also i don't think in gaming either of i5 2320 or 2500K will make a difference at stock speeds.
Score
December 27, 2011 5:39:17 PM

lolzzzZZZ...i really want that quad core just to ensure that all the upcoming titles run smooth and fast if i3 2120 can run my games as smooth as i5 it is thinkable...but need to make sure that... :) , thats the reason i actually opted a AMD quad core as i was not sure of the dual cores with HT or how good they are overall i mean when you actually think to build a gaming rig you will surely like to see some performance tweaks on the other side as well like gaming and multiasking together...if it is all possible with i3 we can think over it and save some bucks...but again that must justify to be choiced over 965 BE or any AMD with in the same price range...!!!
Score
December 27, 2011 5:58:26 PM

How much diffrence there will be in a i3 2120 and i5 2320 gaming? :) 
Score
December 27, 2011 6:19:41 PM

So it means a WIN-WIN situation will be the i5...!!!Right? :) 
Score
December 28, 2011 2:48:30 AM

BaronMatrix said:
So the original poster was choosing between two AMDs until he was basically BROW-BEATEN into Intel. Sounds about right?

I'm glad I have plenty to do.

It was pointed out to him how for a modest cost increase, he could get a significant performance increase, and like any sane person, he saw the benefits.

So yes you have a lot of work to do to lock in people to poorer price/performance computing solutions and make them pay the price, so that you can meet your ideological obsessions.
Score
a c 152 à CPUs
December 29, 2011 3:01:48 AM

Chad Boga said:
It was pointed out to him how for a modest cost increase, he could get a significant performance increase, and like any sane person, he saw the benefits.

So yes you have a lot of work to do to lock in people to poorer price/performance computing solutions and make them pay the price, so that you can meet your ideological obsessions.

Sounds right to me.
Score
January 2, 2012 5:12:26 PM

Best answer selected by shwetankjuneja.
Score
January 2, 2012 5:19:34 PM

Got the i5 2400, i have dominated every game, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Crysis2, GTA IV, Metro 2033, Street Fighter IV ext ed., Assasins Creed all parts, JB Blodstone, Battlefield 3(Yes thats true i wish i could show you this) and many more, all at 40+ FPS @ 1920X1080 FULL HD that too at Ultra settings. I thank you so much, it actualy came to my mind to go for an i5 but you gave me the confidence to believe in myself and have faith that i5 will be best choice, i don't think i need anything else...this thing is compact in size but i must say as they say..."Big things come in small packages", thank you for all that research on AMD build and thanks for your valuable input....!!!Happy New Year...!!! :) 
Score
January 2, 2012 5:24:17 PM

Got the i5 2400, i have dominated every game, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Crysis2, GTA IV, Metro 2033, Street Fighter IV ext ed., Assasins Creed all parts, JB Blodstone, Battlefield 3(Yes thats true i wish i could show you this) and many more, all at 40+ FPS @ 1920X1080 FULL HD that too at Ultra settings. I thank you so much, it actualy came to my mind to go for an i5 but you gave me the confidence to believe in myself and have faith that i5 will be best choice, i don't think i need anything else...this thing is compact in size but i must say as they say..."Big things come in small packages", thank you for all that research on AMD build and thanks for your valuable input....!!!Happy New Year...!!! :) 
Score
!