Solved

Upgrading 3 Year Old Gaming System

Hey everyone, so I've had my computer for probably three years now. Maybe more.. and I'm now considering upgrading a few parts to get it up to speed for Battlefield 3 etc,

Specs:

i7 920 d0 stepping + Scythe Mugen cooler
EX58-UD4P
4890 1gb
6gb ram
TX750 Corsair Power Supply
HAF 932 case

Now, my question is, if you had $500, what would you upgrade and what's worth holding onto for now? Is there anything coming out in the near future I should be waiting for instead?

I was looking at just replacing the 4890 with a 6950 2gb and that should do me, but would like some further thoughts.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading year gaming system
  1. Best answer
    Motherboard, RAM, CPU, PSU, Case all look fine there's nothing id change there, especially not on $500.

Your best option is just to upgrade your graphics card. $500 would easily allow for a 6970 to be added in there.

XFX 6970 2GB $320 (after rebate) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150517
  2. Cheers Adrian, I was considering the HIS IceQ 2gb 6950 and flashing it to a 6970. I haven't really read much on this or how difficult it is, but I can get the 2gb IceQ for $260 which sounds decent.
  3. I've never owned an AMD card so i'm not sure on how "flashing" works. But yes, upgrading your GPU is all you really need to do :)
  4. Definitely upgrade the video card if you are looking to play BF3. If you want a quick general system boost, get an SSD. Everything else should last a while longer.
  5. singemagique said:
    Definitely upgrade the video card if you are looking to play BF3. If you want a quick general system boost, get an SSD. Everything else should last a while longer.

Good call on the SSD.
  6. I agree on graphics cards if anything, perhaps RAID configuration or SSD but definitly rest is very good.
  7. AdrianPerry said:
    Good call on the SSD.

After much research and hesitation, I upgraded my desktop to a 120GB X25M Intel SSD last year. Two weeks later I updated my laptop. Now I cry when I have to use a computer with an HDD. It's the single most impressive system upgrade I have ever performed.
  8. for 500$ you can get 2 6950 1gb cards or 2 560 ti 1gb gpu's in there. that will give you the best performance for 500$. and it should max out bf3. and your psu can run both cards
  9. mjmjpfaff said:
    for 500$ you can get 2 6950 1gb cards or 2 560 ti 1gb gpu's in there. that will give you the best performance for 500$. and it should max out bf3. and your psu can run both cards

NewEgg recently (and may still have) Gigabyte GTX 560Ti (OC edition 900MHz) for $204 after rebate. A superb buy in my opinion. And yes, 750w PSU would be enough for two of these in SLI.
  10. Best answer selected by matthewh133.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product