Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Exploding Capacitors on GS 7600 EVGA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2011 6:52:44 PM

I've had two cards fail from caps on the pc board poping like firecrackers. Whats going on and why? can this happen with other cards ?

My rig; A8N SLI Deluxe, 3 Gig ram, X64 4400 cpu, Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT. 650 PSU.
July 20, 2011 7:50:01 PM

I have my answer. After researching this problem it all boils down to a faulty electrlytic cap electrolyte formula that was used for industrial espionage about 10 yrs ago in the Taiwan area. Seems most computer faults can be traced to this problem and problems continue to crop up EVERYWHERE in the world to this day!
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 20, 2011 9:45:18 PM

you are absolutely correct. You generally dont find this problem on higher end products like ASUS and Gigabythe though. Only the cheapies like sapphire.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2011 9:48:44 PM

The 7600 is a pretty old card, what years were products manufactured with these defective caps?
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 20, 2011 10:49:47 PM

^read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague You still see these capacitors to this date, mostly in cheap PSU's and motherboards. It has to be said that there are other causes for exploding caps. like if the circuit is poorly designed and there is excess current/ripple/voltage/heat going through the capacitor. Also if your power supply is poop and putting out of spec voltage to the motherboard, the caps wont likely last as long.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2011 12:19:46 AM

There was a problem with faulty capacitors being supplied to many manufactures a few years ago which continues to be a problem even to this day. One of the biggest contributing factors as to how long the capacitors last for is their ambient operating temperature. If you are having a recurring problem with faulty capacitors I would suggest that you look at the air flow over the graphics card. I don’t think that the power supply is to blame here as the capacitors on the motherboard have not failed.
July 28, 2011 2:46:17 AM

Best answer selected by bob41x10.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 2:36:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!