Best 5.1 speakers

mrlemmiwinks

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I have the old z 5500s and am curious as to what the best 5.1 speakers are. It seems klipsch used to make the best as people are going to any means available to repair their old ones. I've noticed the 5500s are good but are somewhat lacking in the sound quality department. Not enough to make me hate them but I know it can be better.

seems like everyone except logitech is making just 2.1 systems and the new logis are pretty much the same as the 5500s as far as i can tell. i checked out bose but everyone says the artificial surround sound is just not good for gaming.

i have to be missing something what else is out there?

Using a decent discrete soundcard will unveil what might be missing from your speakers.
If you're using onboard audio you're missing alot of detail on otherwise pretty decent pc speakers.
I run z5300's on one of my rigs.
Heard them with ALC889 onboard then slapped in an old Audigy 2 ZS = big improvement
Further improved by installing an Auzentech X-Plosion = even better detail and tighter mid and bass response.

I have 4 rigs with different soundcards and different types of decent pc speakers.(mostly Logi's)
All have been subjected to before(onboard) and after(soundcard) test.
Some with more then one card and speaker combo's.
All sound much better even with cheap or out of date cards.
My best set-up is 2.1(Yamaha) and a $120 Auzentech Forte.
Personally i'd never spend $200 on a pc soundcard.Too much coin for me.
But everyone has different taste and objectives.

mrlemmiwinks

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
they have a 150 dollar version without the jacks jus the optical jack (and they give you a 10 foot cord). i jus linked tha one because i figured id let everyone see what they have.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Unfortunately you haven't been missing much of anything. There doesn't seem to be anyone (that I know of) producing any decent quality (consumer grade) 5.1 or 7.1 computer speaker systems at this moment.

I also made the mistake of buying the Logitech Z-5500 and while I'm not looking to get into a pissing match with anybody about them in my opinion for audio (music) reproduction they are absolute crap! Here is a link to my newegg review entitled "Stunned and Amazed": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=36-121-120&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo under the same user name that I use here.

The "Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System" is (in my opinion) still the best (consumer grade) 5.1 computer speaker system ever made. I have two complete ProMedia Ultra 5.1 systems hooked up to two PC's and a partial ProMedia Ultra system (the 5 satellite speakers) hooked up to the Z-5500 sub for my bedroom TV.

As good as the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Speaker Systems sound they have two major drawbacks:

1st is the lack of digital connectivity. This can be addressed by adding a DAC. While this can be kind of expensive, Klipsch made one called the "ProMedia DD-5.1" specifically for this purpose. like the speakers they are not made any more but, I bought one on eBay for $140. If you decide to do the same, make sure you get the remote with it as it's an essential part for the complete operation of this component.

2nd and most important is the amplifiers have a tendency to overheat and burn out. This can be completely addressed here: "COOLING FAN KIT UPGRADE for Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 THX or Ultra amplifier" the kit has a cooling fan assembly as well as the electronic components that have most likely already been stressed by excessive heat. The same seller "stpeteshepherd" will also fix the amp if it has already burnt out. His rebuilds/repairs are very extensive, not only does he fix the problem but he also replaces any and all electronic components that are likely to cause any problems in the future.

I used the kit on my 1st Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System that was still working and then bought a 2nd Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System on eBay that had a blown amp for $60, sent it (the amp) to "stpeteshepherd" and he repaired it for $129 (return shipping included). It now works great. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his service.

Connecting a home theater to you PC for 5.1 sound is a good alternative however I think you would be hard pressed to get the same quality sound for the same price although it's not impossible with some shopping around for good used components but, you will also be increasing your PC's footprint and you will have to make room for another fairly large component on or near your computer desk if you want full control at your fingertips.

While I don't know of any decent quality (consumer grade) 5.1 or 7.1 computer speaker systems at this moment there are still some professional options. A company called "Blue Sky International" makes Professional 5.1 studio monitor computer speaker systems. The cheapest one the "Blue Sky MediaDesk 5.1 MKII" sells for about $1,700 while their best "Blue Sky Sky System One 5.1 System" is closer to $6,000. While this may seem excessive keep in mind that some high quality home theater receivers can cost well in excess of $1,700 and that is only one of the necessary components you will need going that route.

So I'd have to say that the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System is still your best choice for a very good quality 5.1 computer speaker system even if you have to buy them used and have them repaired. Right now I don't know of any 5.1 computer speaker system that has anywhere near the audio quality without spending a lot of money for a professional system. :sol: