D70 and Vivita wide angle

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 3, 2005 10:34:59 PM

We have a Vivita wide angle lens that does work with the D100. It does
not seem to work with the D70. Any comments ?

Thanks, Michael

More about : d70 vivita wide angle

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:35:00 PM

Michael Schnell <mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> writes:

> We have a Vivita wide angle lens that does work with the D100. It
> does not seem to work with the D70. Any comments ?

How does it "not work"? Won't mount? Won't meter? Won't take
pictures? Pictures have some severe flaw consistently on the d70 but
not the d100? What?
April 4, 2005 12:51:11 AM

My comment.

"Bad luck!", and you can quote me on that.

Seriously have you gone back to where you bought it, the manufacturer, etc?

"Michael Schnell" <mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote in message
news:D 2p5vl$ohh$04$1@news.t-online.com...
> We have a Vivita wide angle lens that does work with the D100. It does
> not seem to work with the D70. Any comments ?
>
> Thanks, Michael
April 5, 2005 2:47:26 AM

> How does it "not work"? Won't mount? Won't meter? Won't take
> pictures? Pictures have some severe flaw consistently on the d70 but
> not the d100? What?

Thanks for caring.

It works just fine with the D100. With the D70 the auto focus does not
work at all. So we did not even try to shoot a picture.

-Michael
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:49:21 AM

> Seriously have you gone back to where you bought it, the manufacturer, etc?

We bought it quite a while ago, even before the D100 for the film based
Nikons. The D70 came much later.

Thanks, Michael
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:17:46 AM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:47:26 +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:

<SNIP>
> It works just fine with the D100. With the D70 the auto focus does not
> work at all. So we did not even try to shoot a picture.
>
> -Michael

What happens when you focus manually and do take a picture? Does the
aperture get set properly in automatic modes? Does the lens actually meter
properly on your D70?

As far as I know from having a quick look at both types of camera the
lens mounts on the D100 and D70 are practically identical, maybe the D100
has a stronger autofocus motor? Is the D100 struggling when focusing the
lens? I've got an F90X here that needs considerably more effort and time
to focus my Sigma 70-300 than it needs to focus my Nikkor 28-105.. but
then, the Sigma is much more bulky than the Nikkor. Wide angle lenses tend
to be smaller and lighter so I would think it very strange if the D70's
autofocus motor can't handle your lens. Are all the contacts on your D70's
lens mount completely clean? And of course, the million dollar question:
are you *absolutely* positive that the AF is actually turned on? ;-)

Bas
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:46:09 AM

Michael Schnell <mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> writes:

>> How does it "not work"? Won't mount? Won't meter? Won't take
>> pictures? Pictures have some severe flaw consistently on the d70 but
>> not the d100? What?
>
> Thanks for caring.
>
> It works just fine with the D100. With the D70 the auto focus does not
> work at all. So we did not even try to shoot a picture.

I hope the information brings out a useful response from somebody
else; because this has moved it into "I don't know" territory for me
I'm afraid.

April 6, 2005 4:16:21 PM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:34:59 +0200, Michael Schnell
<mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote:

>We have a Vivita wide angle lens that does work with the D100. It does
>not seem to work with the D70. Any comments ?
>
>Thanks, Michael

From what I gather (I only own a D70), the D70 is more restrictive than the
D100 with respect to metering with old/third-party lenses. Most Nikon
lenses have a chip inside ("cpu" lenses) that tells the camera's metering
system various things about the lens. If this is absent, you cannot use
the D70's metering, and have to shoot fully manual. If you're seeing "F--"
on the top LCD and/or in the view-finder, then your Vivitar is "non-CPU"
lens, and you will have to shoot fully manual.

Alternately, if you're seeing "fEE" in the control-panel/viewfinder, then
the lens DOES have a CPU, but you will need to set the lens to its smallest
aperture (largest f/number). This is because the camera body controls the
aperture.

If neither of the above, you'll need to give a better description of how it
doesn't work.

Regards,
April 8, 2005 9:03:54 PM

The lens does have a CPU and is made specifically for Nikon cameras. It
does work correctly (using Auto-Focus) with the D100 and with two
different Film based Nikons.

Thanks, Michael
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:06:45 PM

Yes. The Autofocus was activated.

Moreover the light metering system does not seem to work OK either.

My wife spoke to some other D70 owners and this seems to be a known
problem with this Vivitar lens. I don't know if other Vivitars have
problems with the D70, too.

Thanks,

-Michael
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:06:46 PM

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:06:45 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Michael
Schnell <mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote:

>Yes. The Autofocus was activated.
>
>Moreover the light metering system does not seem to work OK either.
>
>My wife spoke to some other D70 owners and this seems to be a known
>problem with this Vivitar lens. I don't know if other Vivitars have
>problems with the D70, too.

What's the max aperture? D70 needs a minimum max aperture of f/5.6.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
!