Sign in with
Your question

Hp Pavilion Elite e9240f upgrade ?

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2011 3:25:22 PM

Okay here is the deal, I bought this desktop for my wife & I both to do multiple task. Since, I've got hooked on playing on-line games again, mainly Battlefield Bad Co. II. Well I want to move on into the new Battlefield3 but feel the need to do some up-grades on this desktop in order to get the performance I want. With that being said, I noticed that it only has DirectX 10.1 & Battlefield3 requires DirectX11. I also did some reasearch & found that Crucial has memory available for this FOXXCONN motherboard which will increase the memory. I'm looking for WELL DEFINED ANSWERS to improve this system & get it to a all new level without spending over $600.00 bucks but yet I want it to be dependable! The Garphics card needs to be better. So with that being said if you can help me without going too much over my budget, PLEASE help! I will post the specs so as to be helpful & I'm always VERY THANKFUL of any ones EXPERT ADVICE! Here is a link to the specs of my desktop. For added information here is the following, it is a hp Pavilion Elite e9240f with a AMD Phenom II X 4 945 processor. 1 Terabyte hard drive, ATI Radeon HD4650 Graphics card, running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. It has a FOXXCONN motherboard & the memory is manufactured by Elphida. NOTE: I have made NO UP-GRADES TO THIS SYSTEM, it is totally stock pre-built. I need a list of the EXACT things I need to change in order to make this work. Here is an attached link to hp for the spec's. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS ??????? Thank You :)  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
September 21, 2011 12:06:57 AM

(1) you have a standard size 300 watt power supply. That is too small for a strong video card. An Antec earthwatts 420 watt PSU is less than $50. Open your case. Can you envision removing the power cables from your MB and replacing with the identical cables from a new power supply. If so, this is the hardest part of the upgrade.

(2) Get new video card. Use this article and spend what you want. Anything that is better than your 4650 will need the bigger PSU. The $115 HD5770/6770 class card is minimum to be worth the effort vs. 4650 IMO. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...

You are good to go. You have enough memory, disk, video to game. $200 give or take with the HD6670. Stepping a bit bigger on video (GTX 460, hd6850, etc.) if you are (or will be) running a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 monitor would be a good idea, $250 total. If you really want to spend the $600 then go bigger on the video card, power supply and add some case fans.

Adding a gaming mouse, better monitor, etc are all optional. Going above 8gb memory makes not sense today. Your CPU and MB are good enough. So are your TB disk and optical drive and MB sound.
m
l
September 21, 2011 1:04:10 PM

I already have a 25" 1080p monitor & I have a G9x mouse, A G510 key board & A G13 game pad so all that is covered already. I was told the memory upgrade will help with the performance as well as if I do the digital downlaod vs. the disc, it will use up all my memory & I'd have to get ride of some of my apps, True or Not? It's only 8 GB's stock. ( 1 ) As for the power supply sould I just go on up to 500 watts & be safe? I'm pretty confident I can handle the PS replacement. ( 2 ) Should it be a modular or stadard PS? ( 3 ) What video card would you use? ( 4 ) the entire hp unit is less than a year old so I'm not in fear, pretty sure it's sound! Thanks, Please reply!
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2011 3:35:57 PM

the digital download won't use up your memory. It'll eat some hard drive space...but you have a 1TB drive. Unless its very close to full, this won't be a problem. the digital download for a huge MMO (like WoW) might be 20GB. Which is around 2% of the total space on a 1TB drive.

since you have a 1920 monitor, I'll suggest the antec 520W PSU ($59 at newegg) and an HD6870 ($175 at newegg)
m
l
September 22, 2011 1:10:51 PM

Got it, Thank You both for your help! :-)
m
l
!