Status
Not open for further replies.

gavcol12

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hey guys, today I stupidly plugged my svga cable and hdmi into the same screen at the same time. Every time I go to boot up now I get this message saying something like reboot and select proper boot device. If anyone here could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

Solution
Plugging two cables into the same screen at the same time would not cause your problem to form. Your motherboard would have given priority to one or the other, and in addition your screen would have only displayed output from one or the other, unless you have a monitor or TV that supports picture-in-picture.

In all possibility (as much as I can gather from the confusing nature of what you are reporting) you have a failed hard drive. Try unplugging your hard drive, setting bios to boot from the optical drive, and then reboot with a Windows CD or bootable CD in the drive. If the computer boots the CD, it likely indicates either a motherboard level conflict with your hard drive, or a failed hard drive.

Another thing to check would be...

nna2

Distinguished
mine wipes it sometimes when i plug in a sd-usb adapter... and its usually when its displaying the manufacturer label (gateway, HP) its not set in stone it can be things like delete, f1-12 ect ect

gavcol12

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

Ok man, I got into bios and made sure the optical drive was the first boot. It's still giving me the "reboot and select proper boot device" thing.

nna2

Distinguished
try restoring optimal bios settings, if that dosent work, unplug your pc, err... google what jumper pins look like and pull off the cap... if you cant find em, pull out the round dime sized CMOS battery (push on the little tab sticking out) and leave it for 1/2 and hour to 1 hour

The splash screen on boot up tells you.....usually hit delete key on KB after hitting power button.

Then reset all BIOS settings to default (usually F5) and then save and exit (Usually F10). If it doesn't boot then ya gotta put in Windows DVD in ya optical drive, boot from that and try a repair.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
i would recommend hard clearing the motherboard. this will entail taking using your mobos jumpers to clear the cmos and then additionally removing the cmos battery. this is all while the computer is unplugged from the wall. there is also no need to have the batter out for a half hour to an hours. a minute or two will be sufficient.

report back on if that helps.

gavcol12

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

How do I go about clearing the cmos?

cbrunnem

Distinguished
there should be a set of three pins on your motherboard that has a connector that connects two of the three pins. to clear the cmos you remove the connector and connect the middle and other pin that normally is not connected. leave it for about 20 seconds the reconnect. after that remove the cmos battery for a min or two then fire it back up.

for example this is the manual description for my mobo. page 35.
ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3.pdf

gavcol12

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

Oh an another thing, when I restart the computer it says no hard disk detected.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
ok your going to have to figure out some stuff by yourself. i dont know what motherboard you have so your going to have to look in the manual and look for something like jumper setup or clearing the cmos.

it would help to know your motherboad model

gavcol12

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
IT WORKED!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU ALL. THANK YOU GUYS! haha seriously faq: for anyone with this problem in the future, take out your cmos, no need to clear the mobo with the jumpers. It should work.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
the jumpers would/should do the same thing but is just much quicker. takes 20 seconds and no need to take the gpu out in my case. but its good you got it working. when something like this happens and the computer will not start up try doing that again to clear everything and start from scratch.

gavcol12

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

should I press enter to recover bios settings or f1 to run setup?

also, the red led for boot device is still on

gavcol12

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

i did the other option and it brought me back to the error after i went through bios. I'm going to try your way now. (enter instead of f1)

Status
Not open for further replies.