Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Gaming Rig for Skyrim

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2011 5:37:18 PM

Im planning on upgrading my rig for the upcoming Eldar Scrolls game out in November, I just wanted some advice on what to purchase for the new build. I want to be able to run this game on max setting or close to it at least. My current rig is:

HD4870
phenom x4 955 black edition
4GB Corsair Dominator
800 Watt PSU
M4A79xtd EVO mobo
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 hdd
September 20, 2011 6:01:44 PM

You could simply upgrade your GPU and maybe add another stick of RAM to total 8GB. I'd suggest a Radeon 6850 or up, or if you are interested in Nvidia a GTX 560 or better.

My rig for Skyrim will be running an i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 560 ti soon to be paired with another (in December). Your PSU is looking just fine as long as it is from a reputable brand. You may want to upgrade your Motherboard to one that is compatible with Crossfire or SLI and other future upgrades like the Bulldozer chipset.
September 21, 2011 9:50:47 AM

Thats along the lines that I was thinking, my PSU is Corsair so there won't be a problem there.. mobo supports SLI so i'll concentrate on the GPU and RAM. Thanks for advice.
Related resources
September 21, 2011 11:08:09 AM

RAM is probably fine to be fair. 8GB is "nice to have" but isn't really required. I doubt SKYRIM will make use of more than about 3GB.

If you do choose to upgrade your RAM, this a a great buy:
$50 1600MHz 8GB G.Skill Sniper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for graphics card, it really depends on your budget.
ATI 6870 is a really nice mid-range card, or if you have a little more to spend, GTX 560Ti or ATI 6950. I dont think SKYRIM is going to be too graphically demanding. With an 800w PSU you could easily SLI either of these cards as another upgrade further down the line.

6870 $150 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GTX 560Ti $205 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'll be very surprised if either of these cards can't max out SKYRIM.

September 21, 2011 7:36:58 PM

I'll have to disagree when @AdrianPerry says that Skyrim won't be very graphics intensive. The game is looking gorgeous, and although they haven't released exactly what cards they are using to run it on ultra with everything turned on, I would assume that it would be a high end card.

Again, a ATI 6850 by itself may get you medium settings. A 6870 would get high. A GTX 560 ti would be high-ultra (maybe not ultra). But any of these in SLI should run it just fine.
September 22, 2011 7:18:21 AM

eagleblueline said:
I'll have to disagree when @AdrianPerry says that Skyrim won't be very graphics intensive. The game is looking gorgeous, and although they haven't released exactly what cards they are using to run it on ultra with everything turned on, I would assume that it would be a high end card.

Again, a ATI 6850 by itself may get you medium settings. A 6870 would get high. A GTX 560 ti would be high-ultra (maybe not ultra). But any of these in SLI should run it just fine.

From what I've heard its using the same game engine as Elder Scrolls Oblivion with a few shader tweaks. It's also being designed to run best on mid range builds so something like a 560Ti with some overclocking should have no problem maxing it out.
!