AMD 11.6 CC Suite/ Driver Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreadfather

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Hello Everyone!

I recently decided that it was time to finally update my CCC and Drivers for my 2x 5850s and have run into some trouble when going to reinstall the CC Suite with Display and OpenCL drivers. The process that I used to update the drivers was pretty standard, with advice from another forum.

1. Uninstall CCC Install Manager using Add/Remove and Express Uninstall
2. Reboot into Safe Mode (No Networking)
3. Open Device Manager and Uninstall Drivers in Display Adapters Section (the 5850s were listed, No New Hardware Scan)
4. Run AMD Catalyst TwL Cleaner 3.9.2 to completely Uninstall/Delete Leftover rogue hidden drivers
5. Return to Device Manager, Scan New hardware (at which it detected 2 "Generic Display Adapters"
6. Reboot into Normal Mode
7. Ran the 11-6_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl (as Administrator)
8. Run Catalyst Control Setup (As Administrator)
9. Nothing Happens...

The installer gets to the window where it asks me if I want to uninstall or install (obviously I click install). This is where the process just terminates. The program fails to install and there is no new process for the installation. The display and OpenCL drivers also do not install properly and I am left with the Generic Display Adapter. Is there a setting that I missed or a step I should/should not have taken? Assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Solution
The AMD install needs to detect AMD hardware
when you have the generic display adapter CCC doesnt think a AMD product is installed
just do a Windows Update Check
it should find the WDM Microsoft driver for your cards
then let Win Update install the WDM driver
then reboot
and run the CCC installer
it should then find your card

I had the same problem

Sorry mate but that made me smile, I've been saying for ages that those driver sweeper programs can do more harm than good.

Dreadfather

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

So you are saying that this is a stark possibility? Would there be ways that I could check if this was actually the case? If So, is there any other way to solve this other than a clean reinstall?

I only used them rarely, but now I agree with you completely MM.

So, a few ideas to hopefully help you with your problem. First, when I wiped my motherboard drivers, it would no longer let me reinstall them. To fix it, I was actually able to use the Windows System Restore. It brought back the drivers and the computer worked fine. Try a restore point before the uninstall and see what happens. If it works, try just installing the new drivers without wiping the old.

Also, what is your motherboard? You could try reinstalling all your drivers, starting at the motherboard, and see if that helps.

Finally. does the driver cleaning program have a 'restore what it deleted' option?

Dreadfather

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I have an Asus Crosshair 4 Formula (890FX), I only uninstalled my older ATI CCC and Drivers.

Will reinstalled all the drivers manually (if that the case) jeopardize my data in any way?

Ill try the system restore option and see how that works out and report back with the results.

The AMD install needs to detect AMD hardware
when you have the generic display adapter CCC doesnt think a AMD product is installed
just do a Windows Update Check
it should find the WDM Microsoft driver for your cards
then let Win Update install the WDM driver
then reboot
and run the CCC installer
it should then find your card

I had the same problem

Solution

Dreadfather

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Sounds good, I will try that as soon as I'm out of class.

Out of Curiosity, did your same problem arise from my exact same situation? would you advise no longer deep cleaning drivers from now on like the guys above me have?

I dont use deepcleaners myself

I have had over 20 video cards in my life that installed fine without them
I tried one once and it caused me problems
so I never used it again

nowadays with CCC it will install right over an old installation just fine

I actually went into Device manager and uninstalled
that reverted me back to the Generic adapter
so then when I installed my card HD 5670 it wasnt recognized by CCC
so then I did the windows update and it installed a WDM windows driver for
the Hd 5670 and then it installed fine

i was also reading about installing cards and normally I just run CCC and it handles
everything but I thought I would be thorough and uninstall the old CCC driver

probably uninstalling the old driver thru device manager and then letting
update find it is the better way
but usually can just install the new CCC on top of the old one

It is critical when you have a Nvidia card and you switch to AMD or vice versa
that you should uninstall the old driver,update and then proceed with install

hope that came out ok
had my daughter screaming in my ear while writing this LOL

Dreadfather

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

Ah I see lol, and yea that was fine :). Well I got it to recognize that the Standard VGA Display adaptors are 5850s by updating the Drivers and directing it to the Display Drivers subfolder in my ATI C:/ folder, so we will see if the CC suite will install now. Thanks for all the help so far Everyone!

EDIT: Ok so the Device Manager now recognizes that the 2 display adapters are in fact two 5850s. However, the Setup for the CC suite still self terminates after I tell it to install. Should I just install CCC instead off the CC Suite?

EDIT II: I tried to reinstall the drivers and CCC from the original DVD that came with my 5850s, and I get the same thing from them, either a self termination (process just ends itself in Task Manager without a peep) when CCC tries to install or the "Windows doesnt think this install correctly" Window where it puts on some compatibility measure next time you try (which also did not work for any of the other versions of CC Suite/CCC I tried; 11.6,11.5,11.1,10.5) Really Stumped here now on why it wont run correctly.

Dreadfather

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Update: Well I figured out what the problem was! It turns out that there was a background conflict between the C++ 2005 Redistributable and a C++ 2008 Redistributable that was causing the CCC installation file to crash when it tried to update some files that did not exist. Microsoft already had a hotfix for this for .64 based Win7 systems and upon installation, the installer ran perfect and now things are back to the way they are!

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.