View icons as images within folders

sue

I only get the plain default icons in list/detail folder
view. I want to see the actual image previews. Other XPs
I've seen are able to do this. I have the home edition.

Sue,

The View>Thumbnail option appears only if XP detects the folder as type 'Image'. To fix the problem, try these steps:

Right-click the folder, and choose Properties
In the customize tab, set the type to 'Images'

If the customize tab does not appear, you may need to edit the registry and set the folder type. Or simple reset all the folder customizations by choosing Reset All Folders in the Folder Options dialog.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

"Sue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07ef01c46e57$f0aaec00$a301280a@phx.gbl...
I only get the plain default icons in list/detail folder
view. I want to see the actual image previews. Other XPs
I've seen are able to do this. I have the home edition.

Was referring to the Filmstrip option in the View menu. (not Thumbmail)

--

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eixbFplbEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
[...]

Thanks Ramesh--the "image" choice did not appear when I
hit customize(?). I reset the folder settings and still
get the plain default icons (in detail view). To restate
the problem, I want to view icons as images in detail
view--I know it's possible because I can do it on my XP
at work. What do I edit in the registry to fix this?
Thanks for your help. Sue

Misread the question. Here you go!

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBH/TIP3500/rh3545.htm

The DefaultIcon should be set to "%1" so that the .ico displays their own image

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

--

"Sue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0ece01c46ed1$f449bd30$a401280a@phx.gbl...
Thanks Ramesh--the "image" choice did not appear when I
hit customize(?). I reset the folder settings and still
get the plain default icons (in detail view). To restate
the problem, I want to view icons as images in detail
view--I know it's possible because I can do it on my XP
at work. What do I edit in the registry to fix this?
Thanks for your help. Sue

Sue, I have a similar problem. In WinME when you click
thumbnails, the saved web pages display in the folders as
a thumbnail. I am unable to get this function to work in
XP pro. Thumbnails for web pages in folders are simply
the big e icon. I have several hundred web pages filed
and need to be able to look quickly at am icon.

I hope these issues can be resolved soon.

My email is cmutchie@msn.com.

Hi Cindy,

This feature has been removed in Windows XP SP1 due to stability issues.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

Works on mine.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OW$ObDAcEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Cindy,
>
> This feature has been removed in Windows XP SP1 due to stability issues.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Oh well we know that :eek:) You were the one who figured out how to implement this in SP1, isn't it ?

--

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23aCjMKAcEHA.3904@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Works on mine.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OW$ObDAcEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Cindy,
>
> This feature has been removed in Windows XP SP1 due to stability issues.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Did I, must be getting time for a new install then. There's a reg key that opens everything as maximised (MSConfig looks really wierd). It's so annoying. But I'm too lazy to remove it. This week I turned off Personalised Menu's in IE's Favourites, that took 11 months to get around to doing.

maximizeapps = 1 as a DWord at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
It's only read at startup.

And now I'm here I'll get rid of it.