Video/ available memory confusion

azk890

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hi all. I bought a computer with a GTX 570 superclocked (1280mb video ram) and 6gb ddr3 ram. On the nvidia control panel and when I check dxdiag, my computer recognizes my graphics card as having total available graphics memory of 4091 mb and shared video memory of 2811mb. I'm getting unusually low fps on several games and I'm wondering if I have my computer's memories misconfigured. Is there a way to limit how much memory is dedicated to video, and if so, is this desirable? P.S. I have a core i7 960 at 3.2 ghz processor.

What games are you expereincing low fps on?

Windows reserves a certain amount for it's use's and the use of a video card.Although your GPU has 1280 itself, Windows also use's some of your PC's RAM as GPU RAM.Usually this doesn't cause any problems and actually helps with the video processing.

azk890

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
I feel stupid for saying, but the games i played so far are The Witcher 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. I disabled SSAO, and tweaked the settings and it's much better. Fallout:NV still gets insanely low fps, but i understand there are technical issues and fixes for those issues.