Closed

This FSP or that Thermaltake?

Last response: in Components
December 22, 2011 12:42:58 AM

Hello,

I'm torn between these two PSU's
a. FSP AURUM 700w
b. Thermaltake ToughpowerXT 775w

which one do you think is better? The thermal take one is more expensive so i'm leaning towards FSP but I'm planning to SLI GTX 560 Ti's so..... help.

More about : fsp thermaltake

a c 1103 ) Power supply
December 22, 2011 2:17:11 AM

There's been some corners cut in the FSP Aurum Gold 700 (AU-700)'s manufacturing. There's no MOV in its transient filtering stage (used to remove spikes coming from the power grid). Its noise and ripple are a little bit high.

My opinion is that the Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W (TPX-775M) is the better power supply because corners weren't cut and it has lower noise and ripple which should result in longer capacitor life in the power supply unit and in the graphics cards' power VRM circuit. Also its +12 Volt continuous current rating is much better than the FSP.
December 22, 2011 2:30:54 AM

So does that mean the TPX-775M is safe even w/o an AVR or something? And that it can handle GTX 560 Ti SLI?
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1103 ) Power supply
December 22, 2011 2:47:31 AM

TheMaristBoy said:
So does that mean the TPX-775M is safe even w/o an AVR or something? And that it can handle GTX 560 Ti SLI?

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 44 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W (TPX-775M), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 64 Amps and two 6 pin and two 6+2 pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power a system with two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI. There's plenty of spare capacity available for any overclocking of the CPU and GPU that you may want to attempt.
a b ) Power supply
December 22, 2011 2:55:04 AM

yeah, what he said /\

Seems most FSP power supplies do not have the MOV. Not that has caused me any issues(By that nature many OCZ power supplies lack it as well) in years of use on several models. But then again my power bar packs the MOVs the power supplies lack :) 
December 22, 2011 5:52:24 AM

Best answer selected by TheMaristBoy.
December 22, 2011 5:53:01 AM

Thanks a lot guys! :) 
!