Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't stay connected to internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 9, 2011 11:36:33 PM

Hello, my computer keeps connecting and disconnecting from the internet- other computers on the network aren't doing this- i also manually put in an IP address and that didn't help either, whats going on?
Anonymous
February 10, 2011 12:54:34 AM

I this a wireless connection between your computer and the router that's causing the problem -- check by connecting the computer to router by ethernet cable.
m
l
February 10, 2011 12:59:53 AM

yes, thats the conclusion I came to as well. especially since the computer connected to the internet back at the computer repair shop. What might be causing the connection problem with the router? My other computers connect just fine to the router, do you think it might be a setting on this particular computer?
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2011 1:02:04 AM

Quote:
I this a wireless connection between your computer and the router that's causing the problem -- check by connecting the computer to router by ethernet cable.

yes, thats the conclusion I came to as well. especially since the computer connected to the internet back at the computer repair shop. What might be causing the connection problem with the router? My other computers connect just fine to the router, do you think it might be a setting on this particular computer?
m
l
Anonymous
February 10, 2011 1:02:40 AM

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel at least 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
m
l
February 10, 2011 1:07:09 AM

Quote:
You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel at least 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

Thanks for your advice- I'll try those things- if thats all it is I'll be happy.
m
l
!