Solved

Mobo for 2500K with CF support

Hi,

I'm gonna buy an i5 2500K.
I have a Corsair VX450W and an XFX HD6950 2GB.
I'm gonna overclock the CPU with a cooler that I need you to recommend me, and I will also need a mobo for the CPU, that supports CF in case I decide to buy another HD6950 2GB in the future. Also, does it have to be th exact same XFX HD6950 2GB model? Can it be a different HD6950 2GB?
For now I understnad a 450W won't hold two HD6950s, but until I buy another HD6950 there's no need to buy a new one.

Thanks. :D
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mobo 2500k support
  1. Best answer
    You're right about not needing the new PSU until you're ready to CF.

A good MB that overclocks well and supports CF in 8x/8x mode is the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H for about $150 at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544

As ofr CFiring the 6950, it doesn't have to be the same brand, just the same model.

As for the cooler, go for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. It's got a good reputation for a reason.
  2. Alright. I had an Hyper 212 Plus which was a pain to install, but I guess it's worth it.

I'm glad it doesn't have to be the exact XFX HD6950 2GB because I already can't find the single-fan model I have anywhere online.

Also, do all CF mobos cost so much? This one is 265 USD in my country. I was hoping to pay 1/3 its price.
  3. OK I found the following two that seem to suit my needs, both have SATA 2 and 3, USB3 and CFX support.

They differ by 5 dollars in my country, so I wonder which is better:

Asus P8B75-V
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

Thanks.

EDIT:

Apparently with CF both mobos run the second PCIeslot at x4. Is this a problem?
  4. "Apparently with CF both mobos run the second PCIeslot at x4. Is this a problem? "

Yes, it's a problem. You'll notice graphivs performance slowdowns. You want a MB that can do CF in x8/x8 mode.
  5. Well thanks everyone, I decided that when comes the time I'll just upgrade to a better single-GPU setup. Thanks again.
  6. Best answer selected by yonyz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Support Motherboards Product