Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is this an alright setup?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 22, 2011 2:18:48 AM

Hey there. I'm new here, and im building my first computer. I would love to hear peoples' opinions on my setup, and make sure everything looks compatible! I am currently running windows 7 on a late 2008 macbook pro, so this should be a fairly noticeable step up. I'm looking at using the new pc for gaming. Also, how nicely would games like Skyrim run on a 1920x1080 res with this setup?

Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDD- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
POWER SUPPLY- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GRAPHICS CARD- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MOTHERBOARD- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(Wasn't sure of the subsection for this topic)
TIA :) 
-Dane

More about : alright setup

a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:28:46 AM

For skyrim, I would get a hd6950 for that resolution. I believe that it needs something like that for 1080p. A GTX 560 Ti would also work. I would get a PSU like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... As Raidmax is not a great PSU maker, and if your PSU goes out, it can take your whole system. And I believe SATA III can control a SATA II drive, but just to be safe, go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
December 22, 2011 2:45:12 AM

I'd stay away from the Raidmax PSUs. Generally with PSUs you want to stick with Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, or anything made by Seasonic.
Score
0
Related resources

Best solution

a c 120 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:47:47 AM

I agree with the above suggestions regarding the gpu and psu.
Recently two threads featured the poor performance of that particular psu.
One blew up and the other had issues supplying power to gpu.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63468&vpn=ST500DM002&m...
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=33041&vpn=OCZ600MXSP&m...
Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-500CXV2 500W
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=60329&vpn=CMPSU%2D500C...
Antec High Current Gamer 520W 40A
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=56787&vpn=HCG%2D520&ma...
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Share
December 22, 2011 2:57:35 AM

The HD6770 does OK at 1080p. I manage 40ish FPS on Skyrim Ultra with 2x AA.

I'd suggest taking a look at the $600 build in my sig. Should be around the same budget.
Score
0
December 22, 2011 3:35:27 PM

HostileDonut said:
For skyrim, I would get a hd6950 for that resolution. I believe that it needs something like that for 1080p. A GTX 560 Ti would also work. I would get a PSU like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... As Raidmax is not a great PSU maker, and if your PSU goes out, it can take your whole system. And I believe SATA III can control a SATA II drive, but just to be safe, go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Alright, thanks a ton everybody, but just a few more general questions. How can i tell if a PSU is compatible with my other parts? Also, the Seagate hard drive you linked has too many DOA reviews for me to comfortably buy it... :s I already ordered the case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and my CPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), btw.
Thanks a ton!
Edit: Also, the 6950 is out of my price range. Thanks anyways!
Score
0
a c 120 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 3:43:55 PM

As long as you buy an ATX12v you'll be fine.
I would buy one with a minimum of 2 PCIE 6/6+2/pin gpu connects.
Stay away from Coolermaster(GX and lower models),Thermaltake(TR2),Coolmax,Raidmax.
Stick with Antec,Corsair,XFX,OZC,and Seasonic.
Score
0
December 22, 2011 4:42:55 PM

davcon said:
As long as you buy an ATX12v you'll be fine.
I would buy one with a minimum of 2 PCIE 6/6+2/pin gpu connects.
Stay away from Coolermaster(GX and lower models),Thermaltake(TR2),Coolmax,Raidmax.
Stick with Antec,Corsair,XFX,OZC,and Seasonic.

After reading your responses, ill be switching the SATA II HDD for a SATA III HDD, and ill be swapping the Raidmax psu for a Corsair psu. Thanks for the help everyone!
Edit: Actually, one last question. Since the Seagate HDD has a lot of DOA reviews (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), should i get the WD HDD instead? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 4:45:23 PM

danedude1 said:
After reading your responses, ill be switching the SATA II HDD for a SATA III HDD, and ill be swapping the Raidmax psu for a Corsair psu. Thanks for the help everyone!

No problem! I hope it all works great! :) 
Score
0
December 29, 2011 12:30:30 AM

Best answer selected by danedude1.
Score
0
!