Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500k Temps

Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:25:08 AM

I just got my i5-2500k from Newegg about a week ago. For a bit, my computer was randomly getting BSOD and wouldn't do system dumps, so I ran a stress test while watching the temps and sure enough, the CPU was hitting 90°C, and it BSODed at 99°C. I thought it was RAM, but eliminated that. I bought a new Cooler, the Hyper 212 EVO.

My question is: Should I RMA the CPU? It has Hit 99°C a couple times and shut off. Will this impact my performance, or lifetime?

Also, I plan on OCing in the near future after I install my new Hyper 212 EVO

More about : 2500k temps

a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:31:09 AM

Well, it turns off to stop it from damaging itself, and a few times getting that hot shouldn't hurt it. I wouldn't return it unless it starts acting up. I bet you will be fine.
m
l
December 22, 2011 2:47:36 AM

Yeah, but their safe temps are like 80°ish, it has hit 99°C, more than once. It's more a security thing for me lol, just dropped 219 on a CPU and it's stock cooler was bad :\
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 2:49:23 AM

brfield said:
Yeah, but they're safe temps are like 80°ish, it has hit 99°C, more than once. It's more a security thing for me lol, just dropped 219 on a CPU and it's stock cooler was bad :\

I bet you will be fine. I hit in the 90s C with my 2500k a few times. My HSF wasn't on correctly, but there are no issues with it now.
m
l
December 22, 2011 3:26:04 AM

So I just took my fan off, and got the stock Thermal Paste off, and noticed my CPU has marks on it, I will take pictures and post in a bit. There is a nick/bump on it, and dents in the side.

m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 5:31:50 AM

Can you even rma if you think you messed up the cpu? But really you don't have anything to worry about. If you are getting the performance you should be, it's fine. Of course you don't want to let it get that hot anymore or really risk damaging it.

I don't see any dents except where the latch contacts the side tabs, that's normal. There is that dot off center but I can't really see it clearly. Overheating won't cause that though. The cpu will start smoking before any visual signs show on the cpu which is well above 200C.
m
l
a c 147 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 3:55:21 PM

Those marks should not be on there straight out of the box. Their hsf does not make those marks. No hsf makes marks on the cpu. It's from the locking latch.

That's how the cpu is kept in the socket. See those 2 tabs on the side with the indent?
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
December 22, 2011 3:59:35 PM

Don't like that bump on it.
Looks defective to me,as far as i would be concerned= weak point
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2011 4:10:16 PM

k1114 said:
Those marks should not be on there straight out of the box. Their hsf does not make those marks. No hsf makes marks on the cpu. It's from the locking latch.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1501/socket_1155.jpg
That's how the cpu is kept in the socket. See those 2 tabs on the side with the indent?

I thought he was talking about some marks in each of the four corners of the CPU. Intel test all there CPUs and if you look closely, you can see a little part in each of the four corners.
m
l
December 23, 2011 2:04:50 AM

No, there's a mark on the CPU, look to the left of the markings on it.
m
l
a c 201 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 3:04:13 PM

Thread cleaned up. Cleared out the last two days of posts, the only really relavent thing for the OP was from hostile donut.

"@OP I doubt there is an issue with the CPU, I have ran mine past 90C a few times because my HSF was not on properly when I first built my machine, and my CPU runs fine. If you want to return it, then go ahead, but if you run Prime95 without any issues and no heat problems, I think you are okay."

Hopefully we can proceed in a civil manner now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2011 3:15:46 PM

hunter315 said:
Thread cleaned up. Cleared out the last two days of posts, the only really relavent thing for the OP was from hostile donut.

"@OP I doubt there is an issue with the CPU, I have ran mine past 90C a few times because my HSF was not on properly when I first built my machine, and my CPU runs fine. If you want to return it, then go ahead, but if you run Prime95 without any issues and no heat problems, I think you are okay."

Thank you Hunter.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
December 24, 2011 6:07:37 PM

hunter315 said:

sorry for having a quarrel with that guy, it was not expected.
m
l
!