Sign in with
Your question
Solved

12GB of memory on Foxconn Flamingblade

Last response: in Motherboards
October 5, 2012 11:02:11 PM

Hello, I am trying to upgrade my current setup
(i7-920, 3GB 1333 RAM, Foxconn Flamingblade, which is working) to 12GB of 1600 RAM. The current working RAM is Corsair XMS3 9-9-9-24 1.5V. The new RAM is Mushkin Blackline 9-9-9-24 1.5V. Other system info: Geforce 9800GT, WD 250GB 7200RPM HDD. So the two problems are these:

Will not post with all three sticks of Mushkin RAM (debug LED says 4E, memory problem obviously). Will POST with 2 sticks in any two slots.
So my first go at this I thought I determined
that one stick was bad. But I have now received new ones, I have the exact same problem except this time I have determined that all the sticks and slots are good.

Second problem... Even though 2 sticks will POST, it will not boot (memory errors galore, a different ones each time I reboot) windows thinks its the files themselves are corrupt but when I put the old RAM back in everything is fine.

Here is what I have tried so far for the first problem:
Virtual XMP Off (memory at 1067 1.6V) - doesnt work
Virtual XMP ON (memory at 1600 1.85V (this is what MB set automatically)) - doesnt work
Virtual XMP off, and tried voltages up to 1.65V and CAS latency set strictly at 9 - doesnt work
At my first go with what I though was a bad stick I tried putting the voltage at 1.5V as the RAM says it can operate, however that caused even more problems (MB was just beeping away like mad...)
The only thing I have found online about this is 1 brief post in a forum (Xtremesystems i think) about G24 Bios fixing 12GB hangup. However, none of the links to the G24 bios work and I can't find any on my own.
The second problem I have had much luck trying to fix because with that RAM in there the BIOS would get hung up after 10-15s or so, so i cant change the settings fast enough. Also If I can't fix the first problem then I am not going to bother with the second...

Thanks for any help I can receive
a b } Memory
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 11:20:40 PM

What you can try is to shut down the Pc and unplug from the wall socket. If you have a cler cmos button you can use that or you can remove the cmos battery and push the power button for 10 seconds. Then put in the new ram and reconnect the power and see if that makes a difference.
m
l

Best solution

a c 129 } Memory
a c 168 V Motherboard
October 6, 2012 12:14:02 AM

fastcountach said:
Hello, I am trying to upgrade my current setup
(i7-920, 3GB 1333 RAM, Foxconn Flamingblade, which is working) to 12GB of 1600 RAM. The current working RAM is Corsair XMS3 9-9-9-24 1.5V. The new RAM is Mushkin Blackline 9-9-9-24 1.5V. Other system info: Geforce 9800GT, WD 250GB 7200RPM HDD. So the two problems are these:

Will not post with all three sticks of Mushkin RAM (debug LED says 4E, memory problem obviously). Will POST with 2 sticks in any two slots.
So my first go at this I thought I determined
that one stick was bad. But I have now received new ones, I have the exact same problem except this time I have determined that all the sticks and slots are good.

Second problem... Even though 2 sticks will POST, it will not boot (memory errors galore, a different ones each time I reboot) windows thinks its the files themselves are corrupt but when I put the old RAM back in everything is fine.

Here is what I have tried so far for the first problem:
Virtual XMP Off (memory at 1067 1.6V) - doesnt work
Virtual XMP ON (memory at 1600 1.85V (this is what MB set automatically)) - doesnt work
Virtual XMP off, and tried voltages up to 1.65V and CAS latency set strictly at 9 - doesnt work
At my first go with what I though was a bad stick I tried putting the voltage at 1.5V as the RAM says it can operate, however that caused even more problems (MB was just beeping away like mad...)
The only thing I have found online about this is 1 brief post in a forum (Xtremesystems i think) about G24 Bios fixing 12GB hangup. However, none of the links to the G24 bios work and I can't find any on my own.
The second problem I have had much luck trying to fix because with that RAM in there the BIOS would get hung up after 10-15s or so, so i cant change the settings fast enough. Also If I can't fix the first problem then I am not going to bother with the second...

Thanks for any help I can receive

The Nehalem processors only natively support DDR3-1066. Higher speeds such as DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600 will sometimes work but are not guaranteed. Try and get it working first at DDR3-1066 @ 1.5 volts and then try and get it working at a higher speed. You should not have to exceed 1.5/1.55 volts of DDR3 supply voltage, doing so can damage the memory. Exceeding 1.8 volts can severely damage the memory controller. If your system is incorrectly configuring the XMP data then you may need to update the firmware.

There is also a bug in many Intel 5 series chipsets which causes a memory mapping issue when the installed memory goes from <=4GiB to >4GiB. This is easily solved by resetting the firmware settings (clear CMOS, yadda yadda) and ensuring that the firmware is at the latest revision.

Please also keep in mind that some motherboard manufacturers store firmware settings in non-volatile boot-block Flash memory along with the firmware itself. Thus, the traditional method of pulling the battery to clear the settings is not guaranteed to work, it is only guaranteed to screw up the time. Thus, you must consult your motherboard manual to find the correct procedure.
Related resources
October 6, 2012 5:55:59 PM

All signs point to BIOS update...

Which worked. I couldn't find the G24 BIOS I mentioned earlier because that was a beta BIOS i think, but I was able to find a P10 BIOS (I was running P04) which is the latest official BIOS

For the sake of information, let me go through the problems I had updating the BIOS and the solutions in case anyone else comes across this.

1. My Flamingblade MB CD had a BIOS update utility included on it (Foxconn Live Update) after I installed it, it said there was an update to Foxconn Live Update, So I did that. After running the new Live Update, the info it gave me about my BIOS seemed a bit fishy. And when I tried to update the BIOS it said it was write protected and I had to either place a jumper or change a BIOS setting... No such thing, is there a write protect jumper or a BIOS setting for this on my MB.
Solution... I re-installed the original Live Update, and that worked fine

2. After flashing BIOS, the computer booted once, apparently had to re-install a bunch of drivers and then reboot. It wouldn't boot after that, wouldn't even POST (Got stuck at debug code A1) after clearing CMOS it would let me into BIOS but it would not get to boot (would give error "AHCI BIOS not installed".
Solution... I looked up this problem (looks like its specific to X58 and P10 BIOS) all you have to do is in BIOS select "Load Optimized defaults" and then it will work

3. Last problem was simple. Internet wouldn't completely work
Solution... It was because the time wasn't set after clearing CMOS
m
l
October 13, 2012 12:57:38 AM

Best answer selected by fastcountach.
m
l
!