WinXP SP2 native BT stack

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
July 17, 2004 4:19:20 PM

Has anyone got SP2's native BT stack working? I tried it on test install
of SP2 RC1 sans Widcomm but my Belkin F8T003v1 didn't get recognised &
the BT Control Panel applet didn't appear. The dongle got recognised
only as a USB device but the only drivers available where my Widcomm
ones which didn't work.

Will I have to go through hoops to get it working when SP2 ships, I ask
myself - without having to edit ini files etc. My main interest in the
MS stack is that it hopefully will allow my PC to shutdown without
automatically rebooting which happens with Widcomm v1.3.2.7 (the latest
stack that my dongle supports?).

--
The map is not the territory

More about : winxp sp2 native stack

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 5:48:12 AM

In article <2lsg9kFgg0ktU1@uni-berlin.de>, "~ Q ~" <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

> Has anyone got SP2's native BT stack working? I tried it on test install
> of SP2 RC1 sans Widcomm but my Belkin F8T003v1 didn't get recognised &
> the BT Control Panel applet didn't appear. The dongle got recognised
> only as a USB device but the only drivers available where my Widcomm
> ones which didn't work.
>
> Will I have to go through hoops to get it working when SP2 ships, I ask
> myself - without having to edit ini files etc. My main interest in the
> MS stack is that it hopefully will allow my PC to shutdown without
> automatically rebooting which happens with Widcomm v1.3.2.7 (the latest
> stack that my dongle supports?).

Some of us (most of us?) don't have SP2 and/or are afraid of Microsoft's
Release Candidates. That's putting yourself on the bleeding edge,
possible with a released version that will say a fresh install of XP is
required; thats what the did for Windows 2003.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 9:31:51 PM

SP2 adds Bluetooth drivers, but only a few devices are recognised. The TDK,
Bluetake and laters Belkin are. Since your device is v1, it may not be
supported by SP2.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"~ Q ~" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone got SP2's native BT stack working? I tried it on test install
> of SP2 RC1 sans Widcomm but my Belkin F8T003v1 didn't get recognised &
> the BT Control Panel applet didn't appear. The dongle got recognised
> only as a USB device but the only drivers available where my Widcomm
> ones which didn't work.
>
> Will I have to go through hoops to get it working when SP2 ships, I ask
> myself - without having to edit ini files etc. My main interest in the
> MS stack is that it hopefully will allow my PC to shutdown without
> automatically rebooting which happens with Widcomm v1.3.2.7 (the latest
> stack that my dongle supports?).
>
> --
> The map is not the territory

July 19, 2004 3:53:38 AM

Røbert M. - typed:
> In article <2lsg9kFgg0ktU1@uni-berlin.de>, "~ Q ~" <me@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone got SP2's native BT stack working? I tried it on test
>> install of SP2 RC1 sans Widcomm but my Belkin F8T003v1 didn't get
>> recognised & the BT Control Panel applet didn't appear. The dongle
>> got recognised only as a USB device but the only drivers available
>> where my Widcomm ones which didn't work.
>>
>> Will I have to go through hoops to get it working when SP2 ships, I
>> ask myself - without having to edit ini files etc. My main interest
>> in the MS stack is that it hopefully will allow my PC to shutdown
>> without automatically rebooting which happens with Widcomm v1.3.2.7
>> (the latest stack that my dongle supports?).
>
> Some of us (most of us?) don't have SP2 and/or are afraid of
> Microsoft's Release Candidates. That's putting yourself on the
> bleeding edge, possible with a released version that will say a fresh
> install of XP is required; thats what the did for Windows 2003.

Release Candidate is a rather loose term used to describe what is still
beta s/w. I occasionally test beta stuff on a spare partition then
re-image the whole partition afterwards. It can be a great way of
testing applications as well as OSs without one's working copy being
trashed. Drive Image has been about the most cost effective application
I ever bought - the ultimate uninstaller. Having browsed the MS hosted
SP2 NGs, it appears that SP2 will upgrade over the RCs which I wouldn't
risk doing. I would never personally upgrade a newer OS on top of an
earlier one either but am happy to upgrade with a SP.

I suspect my best option will be to upgrade when SP2 ships over my
existing Widcomm stack & not worry about the native version with my
(legacy?) BT h/w. If it goes tits up, I simply overwrite the working
partition with my existing SP1 version or just test it 1st on the other
copy before committing myself.
--
The map is not the territory
Anonymous

Mauricio Freitas - typed:
> SP2 adds Bluetooth drivers, but only a few devices are recognised.
> The TDK, Bluetake and laters Belkin are. Since your device is v1, it
> may not be supported by SP2.

I think this is the case here. It may be possible to force it by editing
BT ini files but life is too short, especially when my existing stack
works fine including XTNDC with Outlook. SP2 is said to leave existing
stacks alone.

--
The map is not the territory
Anonymous

In article <2m0dbgFhhonpU1@uni-berlin.de>, "~ Q ~" <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

> Røbert M. - typed:
> > In article <2lsg9kFgg0ktU1@uni-berlin.de>, "~ Q ~" <me@privacy.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone got SP2's native BT stack working? I tried it on test
> >> install of SP2 RC1 sans Widcomm but my Belkin F8T003v1 didn't get
> >> recognised & the BT Control Panel applet didn't appear. The dongle
> >> got recognised only as a USB device but the only drivers available
> >> where my Widcomm ones which didn't work.
> >>
> >> Will I have to go through hoops to get it working when SP2 ships, I
> >> ask myself - without having to edit ini files etc. My main interest
> >> in the MS stack is that it hopefully will allow my PC to shutdown
> >> without automatically rebooting which happens with Widcomm v1.3.2.7
> >> (the latest stack that my dongle supports?).
> >
> > Some of us (most of us?) don't have SP2 and/or are afraid of
> > Microsoft's Release Candidates. That's putting yourself on the
> > bleeding edge, possible with a released version that will say a fresh
> > install of XP is required; thats what the did for Windows 2003.
>
> Release Candidate is a rather loose term used to describe what is still
> beta s/w. I occasionally test beta stuff on a spare partition then
> re-image the whole partition afterwards. It can be a great way of
> testing applications as well as OSs without one's working copy being
> trashed. Drive Image has been about the most cost effective application
> I ever bought - the ultimate uninstaller. Having browsed the MS hosted
> SP2 NGs, it appears that SP2 will upgrade over the RCs which I wouldn't
> risk doing. I would never personally upgrade a newer OS on top of an
> earlier one either but am happy to upgrade with a SP.
>
> I suspect my best option will be to upgrade when SP2 ships over my
> existing Widcomm stack & not worry about the native version with my
> (legacy?) BT h/w. If it goes tits up, I simply overwrite the working
> partition with my existing SP1 version or just test it 1st on the other
> copy before committing myself.
> --
> The map is not the territory

With Microsoft's History, I'm steering clear of SP2 until its been out
AT LEAST 4 weeks.

My D-Link Blue Tooth Dongle works flawlessly.
!