Dell Inspiron 570 specs:

CPU: Sempron 140 Single Core (2.7Ghz)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430w
GPU: ATI Radeon 5670 1GB
Ram: 4GB

Motherboard: Not totally sure but i know its Dell
BIOS: AMI
BIOS Version: A01
(If you need more info feel free to ask)

Im intrested in purchasing this athlon x3 for swtor. http://www.frys.com/product/6297660?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Im sort of new at building computers and i was wondering a couple things:
-Will the 95w power load add a bit to much to the psu?
- Can i simply hook up the cpu and it work smoothly with my BIOS and Motherboard
- And would i have to buy a new heat sink. I have a stock amd that came with my computer and id like to only have to make 1 trip to the store :)

Thanks a bunch guys,

Danny

IceBloodedZero

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I'd recommend that you attempt to save for a new case, PSU, and a new mobo that will compatible with your processor. The Athlon x3 is an AM3 chip and would only be compatible with a motherboard that supports AM3. You will have to do some research and findout if the mobo you have will support the AM3 chipset. A cheap mid ATX case, a 500 - 550 watt PSU and a decent motherboard shouldn't be to hard on your wallet since you already have the graphics card and the ROM drive and harddrive.

IceBloodedZero

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I also forgot to mention that all new CPUs come with a heatsink. So if you're okay with a stock CPU cooler that comes with the Athlon X3, you won't have to worry about getting a new heatsink.

IceBloodedZero

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Stock heatsinks will do the job if you're not planning on getting fancy with the OC'ing. Your Athlon x4 will work good with the stock heatsink that comes with it. People go aftermarket on CPU coolers when they know they're going to be OC'ing and have a spare 30-80 dollars to blow.

I'm using an AMD Fx 4100 OC'ed to 4.1ghz using the stock cooler that came with it. Stock coolers really are not that bad, but aftermarket coolers insure that enthusiasts get what they want.

IceBloodedZero

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

The heatsink that comes with CPUs already has the thermal paste applied to the bottom. It will do the job. Just make sure that when you pull out the heatsink, you don't set the bottom down on anything but the processor. You don't wanna get the pre-applied paste on anything and removing the paste from the cooler.

Edit: If you are interested in getting an aftermarket cooler and picking up some aftermarket thermal paste, I'd recommend you go to Youtube and look up Thermal Paste Application videos that will show you how to properly apply the paste. It's not as hard as most think it is, but if too much is used, it can really fry your CPU. If you're interested in PC building, I'd also recommend you search for Newegg's computer building guide on Youtube. It's a 3 part video series that shows how to pick your parts, install them, and install the operating system. The 2nd video in the series will show you also how to apply thermal paste to an after market cooler.

Hope this helps.